News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Coiled line cords?

Started by Greg G., March 08, 2016, 01:16:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg G.

I could use one for my daily driver 5302 because I often pick it up and walk a short distance with it while talking to someone, the old-fashioned way to use a phone.  Coiled handset cords won't work.  I thought I tried that on another phone and it worked, but they don't work with this one.  Is there such a thing, or will I have to just plug in a longer non-coil cord?  I have plenty of those, but they will be problematic because I'll be tripping over the cord.  I have the phone rigged with a biscuit adapter.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

unbeldi

Indeed, coiled line cord did exist.

Here is a D4BH-53 (cherry red)  9-0 1962.

This is a 9-ft cord, but they came also longer.  perhaps 13 ft? and 25ft?

unbeldi

Here is another D4BH 9-0 62..... but ugly.

Found on a 1963 500DR-58 (white).

Greg G.

They would need to be mod-to-mod because I have it plugged in to the PBX.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

unbeldi

Oh, you want to use it between the wall and the adapter box on the end of the cord?
Don't recall whether modular coiled cords were available at all.

I noticed that in the late 60s the selection of coiled line cords was much reduced.  I think there were only two listed in 1969, with lengths of 7 ft. and 12 ft.

I'll check the BSPs for modular cords.

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Brinybay on March 08, 2016, 04:13:01 PM
They would need to be mod-to-mod because I have it plugged in to the PBX.

Have you thought about using line cord ends on a  a handset cord?
just a thought,
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

unbeldi

BSP Section 501-140-103 i12 Nov. 1983 lists mounting cords.
The only spring cord in there with 4 conductors is a D4BC—29 6ft or 12 ft. and it is not for modular sets.  This I know also, because I have at least one black 13 ft. D4BC of 1963.
I am a little puzzled by the dash code —29, clear cord with spades?

The modular cords listed are D4BU—29, D4CH—29, D4CH—87, in Standard (7'), Long (14'), and Extra-Long (25').  These are straight, I think I have a box full of them, NOS.

poplar1

Quote from: unbeldi on March 09, 2016, 10:35:34 PM
BSP Section 501-140-103 i12 Nov. 1983 lists mounting cords.
The only spring cord in there with 4 conductors is a D4BC—29 6ft or 12 ft. and it is not for modular sets.  This I know also, because I have at least one black 13 ft. D4BC of 1963.
I am a little puzzled by the dash code —29, clear cord with spades?

-29 is clear. The spade tips were color coded since the individual conductors were all the same neutral color.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

poplar1

Here is a 5-conductor Trimline mounting cord:
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Babybearjs

John