News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

My Northern Telecom desk phone won't ring

Started by JoH, September 15, 2017, 07:44:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twocvbloke

If the capacitor is soldered across the terminals where the slate and slate/red wires are connected on the coil, then they should remain taped off, joining them would bypass the cap rendering the ringer useless (well, moreso than it already is without an appropriate frequency to operate it)... :)

JoH

It looks like that's where they go. So in your opinion should I try to replace the ringer or just look for another phone? This one was only $3 so I'm not out a ton of money.

HarrySmith

A replacement ringer can be had cheaply. Someone here most likely has one sitting around. I had a few but used or gave away all of them.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

TelePlay

Quote from: JoH on September 16, 2017, 12:31:06 PM
It looks like that's where they go.

Is that right capacitor lead, wire, touching the metal ringer frame? Can't tell from that photo.

JoH

All the wires from the capacitor are soldered on to metal tabs which are enclosed in a white hard plastic frame. Its either hard plastic or some type of glass maybe?

jsowers

Just to make sure we're all on the same page, I think the consensus is you'll have to replace that ringer to get your phone to ring. It does look like you have a party line ringer there. A replacement C4A ringer from eBay will likely cost you more than you paid for the phone since it was only $3. If you get one, the wires connect as follows:

slate-red to A (slate is another word for gray, which you probably already know)
slate to K
black to L1
red to L2

You should have a map of those locations on the side of the network. They're all along the back end where you've already been working and they go right to left if you follow the above instructions top to bottom.

If you let us know approximately where you are, it could be that a fellow collector lives nearby and can provide that ringer you need. For someone who says they know nothing about wiring, you sure did well following instructions and posting pictures. You could check yard sales and flea markets and maybe come up with another cheap 500 set like you have that has a good ringer and a damaged case. A 554 wall phone will also have a ringer like you need.

The ringer comes out by unscrewing one screw on either side, two in total. Loosen them until they pull up (but not out) and then pull out the ringer, having disconnected the wires first. There's a rubber mount that it fits into in the middle of the phone. You'll see it when you take it out. Or at least that's what a C4A ringer uses.

Let us know if you have any more questions.
Jonathan

JoH

It sounds like I'll be looking for a new ringer then. I can't thank all of you enough for all your help. Your knowledge and patience are very much appreciated! I actually learned a few things along the way too.  :-) I'm in the Bolivar, Missouri area. Thanks again! I'll let you know how it works out.

HarrySmith

I would recommend posting in the classifieds wanted area here. Someone will probvably step up and send you one for cost of shipping. If you do not get any offers I may be able to dig one up from a junker phone but I cannot check them easily.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

JoH