News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Let it Snow...Let it Snow....Let it Snow ( and other weather events )

Started by Doug Rose, February 09, 2013, 08:34:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WEBellSystemChristian

We got flurries today!!! >:(

Just when I thought the snow was gone, a couple more centimeters came back overnight! Hopefully the week is warmer, so it'll melt!
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Fabius

Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on March 23, 2015, 09:14:13 AM

...a couple more centimeters came back overnight!

Sorry, no metric references allowed by US residents.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

DavePEI

Yes, one of the 3 countries left in the world that don't use SI! Liberia, Myanmar and of course, the United States of America :)

I remember back when we changed over to Metric years ago... For a couple of years, we converted - yes, we knew the formulas by heart. Buy then, all of a sudden, I realized it made sense, and I got used to what 0 deg. c. felt like, and 20 deg. C felt like, and I forgot all about converting. I used to convert meters to miles, and cm to feet, but now everyone just measures in cm and meters and kilometers. Kind of makes sense -water freezes at 0 deg c. and boils at 100 deg c..

Here is an interesting photo from NASA, taken about a week ago. Look at the ice around PEI!
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

Fabius

Quote from: DavePEI on March 23, 2015, 09:26:09 AM
Yes, one of the only places left in the world that don't use SI!

If it was good enough for Queen Victoria it's good enough for us.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

DavePEI

Quote from: Fabius on March 23, 2015, 09:39:50 AM
Quote from: DavePEI on March 23, 2015, 09:26:09 AM
Yes, one of the only places left in the world that don't use SI!

In truth, Queen Victoria never used metric - it actually began with the French.

Well, the way I look at it, in Aviation, the worldwide standard is to use English for communication, for clarity's sake. And metric is almost universally used. I could never understand why the US held out, as in manufacturing, the sciences, etc. Metric is used there.

But I am sure if they were to try to make it the standard, there would be all sorts of people who would refuse to use it - that happened here, too. Until people got used to it. I still remember cars manufactured during the changeover with speedometers calibrated in both! And for years after, you could buy aftermarket stickers to show both. All the old folks who would say how the heck do I know how far is 1,61 Kilometers! I'd walk a mile in their shoes!

Ah, it is a funny world. Love it!
C*NET 1-651-0001

Fabius

To keep on the thread topic, it is snowing in La Porte, Indiana. And Wed it's suppose to reach the sixties.

Metric has made inroads in the US. I use mm, cm etc all the time. I just ordered some micro lamps (grain of wheat lamps) from a US supplier and we used millimeters to indicate the physical size I wanted. And US serviceman & woman who served overseas, such as Vietnam, would say the "village was 3 klicks (kilometers) away".
The US military uses the metric system almost exclusively in order to facilitate communication with allied forces.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

twocvbloke

Quote from: DavePEI on March 23, 2015, 09:26:09 AMKind of makes sense -water freezes at 0 deg c. and boils at 100 deg c..

100 Degrees Celsius at sea-level, the higher you go the lower the temperature at which water boils... :)

Very impressive picture though, reminds me of when NASA took a picture of the UK a few years ago when we got hit by "bad" snow (in quotes cos compared to what you guys have had, ours was a light dusting!!) and the whole country was just a white mass...  :o

DavePEI

It is still blowing here, and some roads are still closed down (including ours),,, But, like you, we are to get  a warmer spell towards the end of the week. Thursday is supposed to get up to 8 c., and Friday, 5 c. Not terribly warm, but sure a lot nicer than we ave been getting since the middle of January! What worries me is the rain predicted, the melting, and the water run-off. Going to make sure my sump pump is working before then!
C*NET 1-651-0001

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: Fabius on March 23, 2015, 09:19:16 AM
Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on March 23, 2015, 09:14:13 AM

...a couple more centimeters came back overnight!

Sorry, maybe it's because I live so close to Canada. Their Metric system is rubbing off on me! ;D
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Fabius

Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on March 23, 2015, 10:50:08 AM
Sorry, maybe it's because I live so close to Canada. Their Metric system is rubbing off on me! ;D
[/quote]

Okay but try to control it. Next thing you know you'll be drinking Labatt Blue.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

dsk

Living here in the metric part of the globe, I'll say, use your inches and gauges, but do not come with decimal inches! 3/4" are 3/4" and not .75" in my mind.   7/16 are much more informative than .4375  even when 7/16" are pretty close but not exactly 11.11 mm! 

For me it is some logic in with water freezing at 0 deg, and boils at 100 but I have grown up with it.

dsk

DavePEI

Back to the "Let it Snow" subject  :)

Now, there is a good reason I haven't been able to get over to the Museum for a month.....

Booth is somewhere under the snow on the right side of the lower photo!
C*NET 1-651-0001

DavePEI

And after the plow made at least 20 passes today breaking through the drift, here is the road past our house.

First shot towards the next door neighbours

Second shot, from their house to ours! Ours is just to the right of the trees!

Believe it or not, under all of this is a regular width paved road!
C*NET 1-651-0001

dsk

Fabius

Quote from: DavePEI on March 23, 2015, 09:57:23 AM
Quote from: Fabius on March 23, 2015, 09:39:50 AM
In truth, Queen Victoria never used metric - it actually began with the French.

What I was saying if Imperial was good enough for Queen Victoria it's good enough for us.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905