News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Relics of a bygone era.......More pics added. See these.

Started by Bill Cahill, August 01, 2009, 12:14:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Cahill

I've been looking at my collection lately, and, thought out loud to myself, this is all that is left. Relics of a bygone era.Now, that is certainly sad. However, turning it around, all us collectors are something to be proud of... We help retore, and, maintain the equipment that was used from these times. Phones, appliances, radios, tv's, phonos, whatever....
I think we should all be proud of the fact that we helped maintain the important history, and, shinning examples of the equipment from these eras...
You guys and, the phones, me, and, my cylinder phonographs.
This year I picked up a basket case Edison Standard at the Orlando antique phonograph show in January.
It was badly rusted, beaten, and, non-running.
Yet, with work, and, some parts, it is now one of the best machines in my collection.
This little machine is one that proves you can't keep a good Edison down....
I've seen basket case televisons, and, radios brought back from the dead when most people would have simply sent them to the landfill.
I've seen basket case phones here resurected to almost like new condition, and, rough phones to brand new condition.
It gives me a self sense of pride that I helped save this important part of history for future generations to know about.
Bill Cahill  :)

"My friends used to keep saying I had batts in my belfry. No. I'm just hearing bells....."

Dennis Markham

Well said, Bill.  I like that Edison Standard (if that's the one shown in your photo).

Dan/Panther

It is defineately a warm feeling to see something that was junk to most, working , and looking factory fresh.
Now If only someone could do that to my sorry butt.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

HobieSport

Bill, your words ring very true. Thank you.

D/P,
I've often wished I could just be refurbished like a 302.
Maybe with a newer network...

-Matt

Greg G.

Quote from: HobieSport on August 01, 2009, 03:32:28 PM
Bill, your words ring very true. Thank you.

D/P,
I've often wished I could just be refurbished like a 302.
Maybe with a newer network...

I would settle for going back in time and slapping some sense into myself...
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

HobieSport

Quote from: Brinybay

That too, but it would take me a lot of slapping around...could get brutal. :P
-Matt

Greg G.

Quote from: HobieSport on August 01, 2009, 03:45:42 PM
Quote from: Brinybay

That too, but it would take me a lot of slapping around...could get brutal. :P

hehe, same here!   :D 
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Bill Cahill

Yes, Dennis. That's the machine as I had bought it in January.
I lost my picture of it restored. I'll have to get it from somewhere else.
Thanks, guys.
I think I might have to sell some heavy items I just can't pick up any more.
First to go may be my Pilot hi-fi  15 watt tube type "portable" r p.
It weighs a
TON!!!!!
Bill Cahill

"My friends used to keep saying I had batts in my belfry. No. I'm just hearing bells....."

foots

Bill Cahill, I feel the same way about preserving little parts of history. I like to preserve some of the less mainstream phones such as SC500, ITT 500, Cortelcos, ect...  I think it would suck if people thought the 50's were with filled only greasy hair, 2 door '57 Chevys, and Western Electric 302s.
"Ain't Worryin' 'Bout Nothin"

Dan/Panther

Quote from: foots on August 02, 2009, 12:40:33 PM
I think it would suck if people thought the 50's were with filled only greasy hair, 2 door '57 Chevys, and Western Electric 302s.

Foots;
So what's the problem ???
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

McHeath

In a way those bygone eras still live in us, or those of us who were there.  I was not around for the 50's, but know many who were.  My son was quizzing my mom about the first walk on the moon the other night when she was here for dinner, she's 79, and he was rather perplexed  by her almost total lack of memory of the event.  For her, she explained, it was not important at all and she does not really remember paying any attention to it.  My son was shocked by this as he thinks that everyone who lived "in the past" would know all about the stuff that was happening, it was a good lesson for him.

I'm sure some people only see the 50's as an American Graffiti movie.  Others may only focus on the growth of the peace movement, and the rise of the Beats, or the art and architecture of the time, the developments in mass media, etc.  I have a Popular Science magazine from 1952 that has an article about global warming and how the Earth is getting hotter due to industrialism, not exactly a subject that most people think was being talked about in the 1950s.  It was a very diverse time from what I can tell, looking at the stuff left behind and talking to the people who lived it. 

Bill Cahill

Locally, the Detroit News, and, Detroit Free Press were fighting each-other for first spot in the public eye.....
As a boy I was in my own little world. My music, tv, school, family outings,whatever would go on in a boy's life.

In the 50's, as now, there was alot of fighting going on in school. Boys against boys, groups against groups, etc.... It wasn't all peace, and, happiness.
However, the memories of the times, music, entertainment, families, etc... tell me there were also alot of good memories from back then.

In the media, we were blitzed with the marvels of our technical advancements.
RCA Victor came out with COLOR tv in 1954.
They vied for being the leader in affordable home hi-fi equipment.
Sylvania had the "Halolight" tv.
Record players were becoming more compact. Stereo came out.
In the 50's they experimented with stereo "Simulcast" using the am, and, fm bands.
In the 60's, Stereo fm made its' debut.
These were exciting times.
Advertising was also interesting.
In the 50's, "Mad Man Muntz" blitzed us with sayings like, "Why, my prices are so low I must be mad!".

I wouldn't give up my childhood memories for ANYTHING.
I'm 58, and, falling apart, but, in my heart, and, soul, I'm still holding at 8 years old.
Bill Cahill

Bill Cahill

It has been brought to my attention that something I said in my last post may be considered political. Since that wasn't the intention, I edited it with apologies from me.

I am only trying to give a view of what life was like for me in the 50's, and, 60's.
Bill Cahill

By the way, in grade school we had alot of kids fights, but, nothing lethal.
Usually a black eye, or, something like that.
Rock and, roll had an important play in the era, as did musical movies.

jsowers

Bill, thanks for sharing your nice memories and keeping the flame alive. I have an Emerson wood table model radio that was made to pick up those AM-FM simulcasts. It used to belong to composer Robert Ward. It's from 1959 or so. I don't have a picture of it at the moment, but it has a switch on the front to combine the two AM and FM signals, and separate AM and FM tuners, AM on the left and FM on the right.

I have two Sears Silvertone radios I still use in my house and several in the basement awaiting restoration when I retire. The first one I have in my kitchen-dining area. It's small as consoles go, but it has a great round gold dial. It's from 1936. All I had to change in it was a dead resistor and it fired right up. I haven't refinished the cabinet, so you see it dings and all. The green tuning eye is one of its best features. And at Christmastime, hearing Bing Crosby doing White Christmas coming out of this radio is like going back in time.

In my bedroom I have my first radio, a Silvertone from 1946. It has a record player in the drawer. I got it in 1970 for $5 at an antique shop, so it's a childhood memory too. I was twelve. I've had it longer than the original owners! The grillecloth is a replacement because the original was torn. I did that early on.

One day I plan to re-cap both radios (replace all the capacitors) and replace the dead crystal cartridge in the record player.
Jonathan

Dennis Markham

Very nice looking radios Jonathan.  There are some radio experts on this forum that I'm sure know much about these models.  One of these days I love to have one of those old radios.  That's great that you saved that 1946 Silvertone all these years.   You were bitten with the collector bug at a young age.