and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

two more Kellogg 1000 questions ....

Started by xtal_01, January 23, 2018, 12:15:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xtal_01

Got my Kellogg 1000 today!

Looks awesome!

Plugged it into my modem  ... called it from my cell ... rings!

First problem .... noisy?

There is for lack of a better term ... crackle, static sounding, ...

When I pick up the receiver before I call .... no noise, clean.  When I call in, I get all this noise  ... why?

Cords are new.  I pulled off the receiver and transmitter ... super clean contacts.

Pulled off the cover ... again, everything is super clean ... like new.  I did spray down the contacts ... no change.

So, while talking to another person (who could also hear the noise), I tapped the receiver with my hand ... hmmmm ... the noise almost went away.  Then I started talking again ... the noise was back ..... tapped a bit ... stopped.  I took off the covers .... checked the contacts ... clean and tight.

As far as I can tell the problem is probably the transmitter element.

Am I on the right track?  Where can I buy another one?

Second question (and I know I have another entire post on straight vs bias ringers):

While the over was off, I checked the ringer.

123 SB  .... straight line, medium impedance.

I found a couple 120 BA rings for sale.  Should I replace the one in it with this one?  Will the 120 BA work with today's system?

On a high note, I do now understand the difference between a straight line and a bias ringer!

Thanks again .... Mike

dsk

If it works, it is ok, you may adjust the distance between the clapper and the bell, and you may make your own bias spring with soma fantasy + a spring from a pen and some thread.

The transmitter may be a problem, but try to just connect the phone to a battery 3-5 V and listen when you speak to yourselves, if that works better, it may be the line impedance matching.

I fou are allowed to adjust that on your ATA, you may try out other settings, if not adjustments has to be done to the circuit. e.g. a 220 ohms resistor with a 2.2 microfarad capacitor in parallel, this unit should be put in series with the phone, and tested if it has any effect.

dsk

AE_Collector

Quote from: xtal_01 on January 23, 2018, 12:15:49 AM
So, while talking to another person (who could also hear the noise), I tapped the receiver with my hand ... hmmmm ... the noise almost went away.  Then I started talking again ... the noise was back ..... tapped a bit ... stopped.

As far as I can tell the problem is probably the transmitter element.

Just for clarification to help trouble shooting on this....you tapped on the handset handle, not specifically on the receiver end of the handset? We typically refer to the two parts of a handset as the transmitter and the receiver but many people genetically refer to the entire handset as a "receiver". Presimably this is a holdover from when phones had seoerate transmitters mounted to the front and the receiver was the part you removed from the hook and held.

Terry

xtal_01

Hey!

I played with it again today ... same results ... picked up the handset ... perfectly clear tone ... wiggled the cord, no difference.

Connected to an outside call ... static.

Tapped on the transmitter end of the handset, when away for a few seconds then came right back.

Best guess ... transmitter element.

So I am on the hunt for one.

Thanks  .... Mike

WEBellSystemChristian

The transmitter element may be fine. The only part that could possibly cause it to fail would be the carbon granules inside sticking together, causing the sound you described.

Try smacking the transmitter end of the handset against the palm of your hand and see if that helps with the sound quality.

Carbon-granule transmitters are so simple that there's not much that could go bad that easily.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Dan/Panther

I find I get a little better results, if I tap the receiver, and transmitter elements on a hard surface. CAREFULLY.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson