News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Western Electric 2565 woes

Started by Vacuumlad1650, September 02, 2018, 12:53:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vacuumlad1650

Hi folks! Looking for some help here, as I have a limited knowlege on multi line telephones.
I purchased a 1972 Western Electric 2565 telephone, intending to set it up like I did my 564. Just each line connects to a POTS line in or my Panasonic key system with an external power source for the lights.
My 564 turned out fine.
The 2565 is giving me some issues. With the help of an old bell head, I got it most of the way there. Lines 1 through 4 work no problem, and the signaling buzzer works with the addition of an external switch.
The lights are another issue.

I was told to connect 1L to 1H. 2L to 2H and so forth, which I did.
I connected the main LG terminals together as instructed, and applied one side of the 10 VAC to that. The other went to 1B, which was a jumper going to N. Line 2 lights up, but none of the other lines will. All of the bulbs work, and the wiring tested out A-Ok on my multimeter.

Anyone out there know what can be done to fix this?

I'll be posting pictures later on...I'm writing this on my lunch break at work.
Thanks!
Andy R...

Vacuumlad1650@gmail.com

My grandfather spent 40+ years at Illinois Bell. Thanks to him, I'm a nut for real telephones! Another breed of Phone Phreak... D. Lipp, 1938-2018

Key2871

Not really understanding what your asking, because L1 is not switched with anything. All L terminals go out for control by the line card. Are you looking to switch the lights via line Button's?

Because all H terminals are common to terminal M on the key, except 4H and 5H BR - BK from 5H , those are common to X terminal.
And should be tied with slate-red strap from X to M terminal.

So power would come into terminal M and are all switched via the H terminals. And all LG connected to other side of power will light each line light when button is pushed.
KEN

Vacuumlad1650

So I need the power to be one side to LG (common) and the other to M? I'm having a hard time understanding your instructions.
Andy R...

Vacuumlad1650@gmail.com

My grandfather spent 40+ years at Illinois Bell. Thanks to him, I'm a nut for real telephones! Another breed of Phone Phreak... D. Lipp, 1938-2018

Key2871

Correct, then when you press a line Button it will light the bulb in line with that key.

Well providing the jumpers From H4 and H5 are in place as per the previous post. From what I see on the schematic, it looks like H1-3 are common to M. Then you can move straps to other places for signalling. So the last two have to be strapped to X then from X to M, and it looks to be brown/ black from X to M. If you still have problems, let me know and I'll do what I can to walk you through it.
KEN

Key2871

Voltage has got to be about 10 volts. Anything more will shorten the bulb life. If you need bulbs, send me a pm. I have some.
KEN

Vacuumlad1650

So take power from 1B to M and jump h1-3 to hr (I don't use line 5).

I'll be getting ahold of you later about bulbs...my 564 only has 2 good bulbs in it. Currently running 10 VAC from an older doorbell transformer
Andy R...

Vacuumlad1650@gmail.com

Key2871

Yes, 1b isn't connected electrically to the H switches.
If your not using line 5, just skip that part.
KEN

crashman2600

This thread was immensely helpful.