News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

What is this?

Started by persido, February 08, 2014, 11:52:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

persido

Was out and about came across this phone in a Antique store, I paid $25, I know it a space saver, there is no dial but it has numbers 1 thru 12 and a handle that you can move to each number, I hope someone can tell me more about this telephone.....Thanks

Scot

Contempra

Nice phone for the price Persido. can you tell us the name ( brand ) and the model of this telephone ? this will help..., thanks

dsk

It looks like a 12 line intercom, you put the selector in right position, lit the handset and press the button to energize the DC ringer (~door bell) in the other end.
Never seen this before but it was only 2 ways to do this. One common line for speaking, and one extra wire for each telephone, or slightly more sophisticated, the voice signal went on the ringer wire, and you had something near privacy.

Pictures from the inside of the phone could even help to identify the type of circuit.

dsk

Sargeguy

There is one similar to this on ebay, also for $25 BIN, with a different dial and no bracket.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Mr. Bones

Very interesting G-mount, Scot!

I have several of this series, am really a sucker for them, but I've never seen one set up like this. I'd have to agree it looks like an intercom phone. Congratulations on your cool find!

Best regards!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

persido

Thanks guys, I opened it up,  the only marking on the inside is III-50, and the handset is Western Electric.

Scot

paul-f

The mounting code - G1 - is on your last photos.  The 43A marking is also visible on the dial adapter.  You can check the BSPs to see how the hookswitch was originally configured.

Of course, since it was adapted to a particular purpose, you should trace the internal wiring to determine how it was intended to work.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

poplar1

"Separated at birth"--seller is in Bridgewater, MA; says phone is from Central Interphone Co.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/151229420568
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Phonesrfun

Judging by the cable coming from the phone with several conductors, I am with DSK on his guess that it is an intercom with a 12-station selector.  The button in the middle of the main housing might have been for signaling.
-Bill G