News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

need help to identify payphone

Started by gonzo1968, July 17, 2013, 07:18:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

G-Man

And of course you connected the telephone line to the green and red wires.

Even though it should be dtf, try depositing a quarter when you go off-hook.

It may not be a D3 board and instead may require external power. If so then the yellow and black wire are also used.

G-Man

To Clarify-

It may not be a D3 board and instead may require external power. If so then the yellow and black wire are connected to an external transformer.

G-Man

Another distributor to check with is Midwest Telephone Supply.

http://www.payphoneproducts.com/index.shtml

Midwest Telephone Supply provides knowledgeable technical support and a complete parts inventory for Protel, Elcotel, Ernest Telecom, Intellicall, TSG, Western Electric, and other major brands of payphone equipment.

G-Man

Also, try connecting one of your other payphones.

poplar1

Quote from: gonzo1968 on July 18, 2013, 11:12:40 AM
thank you everyone for response
i connected the green and red from landline to payphone

Payphone rings but i cant make calls or receive them

I called landline(payphone) from my cell --it rings
but when i pickup handset it keeps ringing
and I cant call out

any ideas??
and what are the other 2 wires for --yellow and black??

I see only red, green and yellow. Is there a black wire inside the phone or only on the wall jack?
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

gonzo1968

checked the other phone that has keys and no board
looked through the holes of the other 2 and no board

the wall jack i was using only has 2 wires connected yellow and green
did try with one upstairs but same result

I decided to have the phone company come in on Tuesday--will update then

I have a feeling this phone is a DUD--LOL

gonzo1968

phone company was here--He didn't even want to touch it--lol
i read that the battery could be dead --so leaving it connected for a couple days
lets see what happens.

G-Man

Quote from: gonzo1968 on July 23, 2013, 02:58:21 PM
phone company was here--He didn't even want to touch it--lol
i read that the battery could be dead --so leaving it connected for a couple days
lets see what happens.

Yes I mentioned early-on that the on-board battery may be a problem.

QuoteAlso, the on-board memory battery may have to be charged by leaving the payphone connected to the telephone line or it may have to be replaced.
[/i]

Because of the 1883 Federal Consent Decree, it would have been a violation if the telephone company repairman attempted to repair your instrument.

gonzo1968

was just thinking----is it possible to remove
sorry for saying this
remove whats here and attached the interior with a regular cheap phone

only as a last resort--still charging battery

G-Man

Take a look at the combined Touch Tone dial and switchook and I think you will see that it is very unlikely you will be able to substitute components out of a standard 500-series telephone.

There are a myriad of reasons why it won't work but if someone else has a quick hack then perhaps they will chime-in.

However I believe one of the suppliers that I had mentioned earlier has their own conversion kit so it may be worth your while to contact them to see what they are charging.

poplar1

AE_Collector: What happened to all the AE dumb boards you used to work on? Didn't you say that this phone has an AE housing? There must be some AE parts lying around B.C.

Perhaps the Payphone refurbishers would have surplus parts like dumb boards, dials and hook switches that would work for these phones. They probably have little use for them since, as far as I know, all public pay phones are now using smart boards.

However,  there is still one conversion that uses the old parts--the "inmate phone." This is a single slot pay phone with the coin mechanism and smart board removed, and the coin return and coin slot covered up. These would probably still have the older parts  for talking, dialing and ringing.  Whatever company has the contract for maintaining pay phones and/or inmate phones at a local hospital or prison would probably also have a lot of surplus parts.

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

G-Man

Even though they call them A.E. housings, they are NOT and A.E. parts are not interchangeable.
The only similarity between A.E. 120-series payphones is that the coin return is located on the same side of the lower housing.

Compare it with a photo of an actual A.E. payphone and you will see there are vast differences between the two including the location of the instruction card and the odd-shaped A.E. buttons on the tone-dial and the shape and location of the coin release lever.

From what little I can see from the photos supplied, it is a cheap Taiwanese import made by Tatung and stuffed with an Ernest smart-board.

They were popular with low-budget private payphone operators and offered little security when compared to real WECo or AECo housings.

AE_Collector

I am not convinced. The coin acceptor, relay and hopper on this one look AE compatible. The upper housing reminds me of Protel. An AE chassis could be put into the Protel phones that we worked on. Problem will be attaching the upper to the chassis as cables and connectors are different.

Terry

G-Man

The photos are not detailed enough to be conclusive however I have never seen a Protel with a black wrinkle finish on a light-gauge sheet metal chassis along with a cheap imported ringer which is more typical of Tatung.

Also I doubt that Bell-Com would source equipment from two rival vendors; particularly combining a higher quality housing from Protel with low-end electronics from Ernest. 

As I previously stated, there are potentially a myriad of problems trying to modify these sets, especially when trying to figure out the pin-outs on the connectors and some dial-pads do not actually generate the DTMF tones, instead they are created digitally within the circuit boards.

If I can drag-out a couple of my Protels I will take a few photos to compare them.

DavePEI

Quote from: gonzo1968 on July 18, 2013, 06:08:47 PM
i think its a d3 board
Are you certain it is a 7D3 board? The earlier D1 board required external power to operate and wouldn't operate without.... Only the 7D3 was line powered. I have a working 7D1 here. Without checking mine, I can't remember what the PS voltage was or how it connected. However, it will do nothing without its power supply. I have a copy of Ernest Telelink here, but it is no good to you unless you get the phone powered up first.

1995 sounds very early for a 7D3 board. I don''t think the 7D3 was introduced until 1998. Now, I can check, but for now forget how the power connects to the 7D1, but I believe it came in direct from the supply to a connector on board - look for an extraneous two pin connector on the board.

Wait until you hear that good old Georgia girl asking you to deposit money!

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001