News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Western Electric 584DF with Chimes instead of Bells

Started by zaphod01, October 03, 2015, 08:06:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zaphod01

Yes, I did know it wasn't a subset! I just wanted to see how it was built and hear it ring.

Search for Western Electric 584DF on YouTube to see/hear it in action. Unique sound.

https://youtu.be/cMwA4_neqsU
"Things are never so bad they can't be made worse." - Humphrey Bogart

Doug Rose

Kidphone

TelePlay

How is that chime apparatus mounted to the phone? Are there bands which wrap around the ringer coils or some other way of attaching it to the base? Photos if you have them, please.

zaphod01

More pics...

The feet of the chime mount bolt to the base. The end of the brass bars beside the coils fit into the chime mount. The top part of the chime does not rest on anything else. Dated 230.

unbeldi

Very nice find!  FOM candidate.   This was numbered as a Type 39A Gong with "cathedral" ringing sound.

PS:  Yours was also made approximately the same time when these were officially introduced.  Is the Bakelite cover still in good condition?

zaphod01

Bakelite cover appears to be original. It has the usual light surface scratches. No breaks or cracks. Nice patina. It would buff out well but I think I'll leave it as it is.

zenithchromacolor

I had a 584A with the same 39A chimes that I sold last year (It did have the Bakelite cover, but with a lot of dirt and paint on it). I had been curious when I found it about how common the chimes were. It's nice to seen another one.

Sargeguy

I missed out of one of these a couple years back.  Still looking
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

zaphod01

Looks like zenithchromacolor's 584A with a 39A gong was also dated 230.

Turns out my 584DF started life as a 584A.

This photo shows the 584A painted out and the new vermillion 584DF on top of the original designation.

zaphod01

Nice 684A!

I was very pleased to figure out how to post the demo of my 584DF to YouTube. It was my first such adventure! Now I need a 584A or 684A with the same gong.

I out bid a couple of the heavy-hitters to get the 584DF. It was at $33 with a few minutes left. I bid $150 with a few seconds left and was out bid! I was able to get in another bid ($175) with 3 seconds left and got it for $161.50. WAY too much but I really wanted it!

Doug Rose

This would look great with one of Ray Kotke's clear covers. They are not that expensive and this just screams to be shown to the world!.....Doug
Kidphone