"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Telephone box bug explosion

Started by xhausted110, July 31, 2014, 12:28:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xhausted110

Just a semi-amusing true story:
I was working on my back yard telephone wiring today, and when I opened a cook electric terminal box (attached to a tree) at least 20 bugs exploded out of it. Lesson learned:seal your terminal boxes.
- Evan

WesternElectricBen

Lesson 2, don't hang your phone box on a tree.  ;)

Ben

xhausted110

Yeah, that's pretty good advice too :)
- Evan

Greg G.

All it would take for me is for one nasty-looking arachnid to come crawling out.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Babybearjs

lesson 3: know which bugs they are and spray for them during the bug season! I have june bugs, and I hate them.... ear wigs are a problem too.... and always be careful of the bees! yellow jackets and hornets love electrical boxes.... pay attention to where they are nesting.... oh yeh, and always keep plenty of WD-40 on hand, it makes for a great bug spray!
John

baldopeacock

Quote from: Babybearjs on August 07, 2014, 03:11:37 AM
yellow jackets and hornets love electrical boxes....

So do fire ants, and they'll also dine on insulation.   Not just mean, destructive mean.

DoubleTone

When I opened a North Electric 7H6 recently, I found no ringer but did find this.

At least the tenants has vacated already.

New England Tel.

Quote from: DoubleTone on August 07, 2014, 12:25:38 PM
When I opened a North Electric 7H6 recently, I found no ringer but did find this.

At least the tenants has vacated already.

Jeez...I'd have had a stroke!  :o
-Bob Archambault

Sargeguy

Looks like mud wasps.  I had a phone arrive once with a live stink bug in it. 
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Babybearjs

In my first home, I had opened up the range hood and found a abandoned yellow jacket nest.... Ick!
John