News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Just Found a Strange 302 Handset

Started by randyleemunro, May 19, 2020, 04:47:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The only difference I see is the groove in the caps on the Bakelite one.

Doug Rose

Quote from: randyleemunro on May 19, 2020, 10:27:28 PM
here are both of my non grooved F1 handsets the top one is bakelite and dated 9-20-37....and the bottom one is the new 2 me tenite handset that I have been polishing... myself I cannot tell any difference
Could you show a picture of both labels, this is interesting....thanks....Doug
Kidphone

randyleemunro

Here Are  The Pictures of the labels

Doug Rose

My later one also has just made by Western Electric. It could be soft plastic, it could be hard plastic, it is not Bakelite....Doug
Kidphone

Key2871

I've seen hard plastic, because I buffed it up and it came out well. It didn't have the odor of tenite.
KEN

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Jack Ryan on May 19, 2020, 09:16:00 PM
Early (coloured) F handsets were also plastic. I don't know why a plastic handset would need a groove - must have been a carryover from Bakelite moulding. I don't see many US coloured telephones but the early plastic F handsets seem to have a "seam" (not a groove) which is a mould seam not an actual handset seam. Later ones were pretty smooth.

I don't understand - most 302s are Tenite

Jack

I use the term tenite because some folks don't like the term "soft" plastic.
The 302 sets I am referring to are made from soft plastic like early 500's. Most plastic 302's that I have handled are a harder plastic.
The colors on these soft 302's and soft princess phones are a different shade than the typical color sets.
Jim
Regarding grooves on Bakelite F handsets, The purpose of the groove was to hide the molding seam. This was faster and cheaper than buffing the mold marks out.
I  read this in a bell publication. I think it was a Bell Labs publication.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Key2871

Yes I too heard about the groove, and why it was there.
Makes sense it saves time and money.
KEN

Jack Ryan

Quote from: Jim Stettler on May 20, 2020, 05:31:49 PM
I use the term tenite because some folks don't like the term "soft" plastic.
The 302 sets I am referring to are made from soft plastic like early 500's. Most plastic 302's that I have handled are a harder plastic.
The colors on these soft 302's and soft princess phones are a different shade than the typical color sets.
Jim

Well, now I'm really confused. As far as I knew, all plastic 302s were Tenite - perhaps a mix of Tenite I and Tenite II but Tenite none-the less.

Early 500s were also Tenite - later ones ABS.

Again, I don't see that many US telephones but I haven't seen any references to a plastic 302 that wasn't Tenite.

Is this not the case?

Regarding grooves on Bakelite F handsets, The purpose of the groove was to hide the molding seam. This was faster and cheaper than buffing the mold marks out. I  read this in a bell publication. I think it was a Bell Labs publication.

I'm aware of this but it relates to Bakelite and other thermoset plastics. Very few thermoplastic parts around the world have a groove - they are smooth.

I gather that some Tenite handsets had a groove - I was asking why.

Jack

Doug Rose

Late color 302s were indeed made with soft plastic and matching painted F1 Handsets.

I have had a Green, Ivory and Red. Rumors of a Blue and an Old Rose.

Of the three I have had, the green and ivory matched the original colors, only the Red was different, the color of a 500 set -53. Soft plastic body and painted matching F1.  Not in the BSPs, but they were certainly made....Doug
Kidphone

Quote from: Doug Rose on May 20, 2020, 09:08:42 PM
Late color 302s were indeed made with soft plastic and matching painted F1 Handsets.

I have had a Green, Ivory and Red. Rumors of a Blue and an Old Rose.

Of the three I have had, the green and ivory matched the original colors, only the Red was different, the color of a 500 set -53. Soft plastic body and painted matching F1.  Not in the BSPs, but they were certainly made....Doug

No rumor of the Rose 302, it exists! I own one.