"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

1920s Phone from Denmark

Started by ....., July 11, 2020, 09:08:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jydsk Telefon Aktieselskab

1920s Phone from Denmark.
Looking for information on this telephone.

Is it worth collecting for $50.00 CDN?

These are the only pictures I of it.

FABphones

JYDSK.
The price is good. If you like it enough it is worth adding. Might be as early as 1904.
I like the handsets on these.

(I think I may have just the base and inners in my junk pile).

'Founded in 1895, Jydsk Telefon of Denmark was famous for producing high-quality hardware for the people of Jutland'.
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

Thanks CJ for the information. It's about an hour drive from me. It looks to be in good condition. I'm just up in the air about committing myself to that style of phone.

countryman

It is worth adding to a collection because it seems complete. The decorations are original, unlike many other European phones that were made fit for an antique market. I have one in my collection, too: http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=23893.msg238334#msg238334
The actual manufacturer of mine was A/S Emil Møllers Telefonfabrikker, renamed into Kirk later. Jydsk was the phone Co. on the Danish mainland, the Jutland Peninsula (Danish spelling is Jytland).  KTAS was the other big Danish phone Co. serving the Seeland (Sjaelland) island with Kopenhagen, using different equipment.
The design was in use for a very long time, later specimens have Bakelite handsets. Due to the high quality and the conservative design the phones were absorbed by the antique market when they were eventually retired...

I waited to long to decide, it sold already.

countryman

Thinking it over, the cradle does not look 100% correct. It seems to be bent to give enough clearance for the speaking tube? Maybe retrofitted by refurbishers to replace the "modern" cradle designed for Bakelite handsets as seen here (scroll down)?

FABphones

There appears to be three main cradle variations on these.

Some JYDSK models were moved on to the 'decor' market and as such were refurbed. The cradle on the one Duffy spotted is often seen. Originality I can't confirm, but to my eye the one shown clearly on third photo right is the most appealing (the cradle on photo 4, left, I have in my junk box so someone has clearly scrapped one of these at some point and it has ended up in a box of spares I purchased).

Random examples of these phones below for comparison (catalogue screenshot from link supplied by countryman).

Quote from: Duffy on July 11, 2020, 02:08:36 PM
I waited to long to decide, it sold already.

No loss Duffy, if you weren't sure about it, it wasn't the phone for your collection. Fate is saving your money for that something spécial which is hiding just around the corner..... :)
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

Quote from: FABphones on July 11, 2020, 04:04:59 PM
There appears to be three main cradle variations on these.

Some JYDSK models were moved on to the 'decor' market and as such were refurbed. The cradle on the one Duffy spotted is often seen. Originality I can't confirm, but to my eye the one shown clearly on third photo right is the most appealing (the cradle on photo 4, left, I have in my junk box so someone has clearly scrapped one of these at some point and it has ended up in a box of spares I purchased).

Random examples of these phones below for comparison (catalogue screenshot from link supplied by countryman).

No loss Duffy, if you weren't sure about it, it wasn't the phone for your collection. Fate is saving your money for that something spécial which is hiding just around the corner..... :)

Wow, look at the different cradles! I believe you're right CJ, something else will come along. Thanks again.

Jack Ryan

As was mentioned, JDYSK was a telephone operating company, not a telephone manufacturer.

This style of telephone was originally made by Ericsson per the catalogue excerpt below. Other manufacturers, particularly in the Scandinavian region but also elsewhere, made close copies. This is generally what gives rise to differences in cradle design although there were some changes over time from the same manufacturer.

A large number of phones were "remodelled" for the decorator market after they were removed from service. This also lead to cradle changes.

Jack

Jack Ryan

This is a BTMC cradle.

Jack

19and41

I once had one of the type shown in the OP with just the providers name in gold on it with a red pushbutton on the case top.  I had a friend who helpse me with my move here from Michigan and I gave it to her.  Those are a bit big anyway.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke