Started by david@london, December 17, 2012, 07:34:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

david@london

GPO 706L diakon from 1961

12-52 500 signal corps

1-59 aqua 500 c/d

kellogg 1000 redbar

AE_Collector

Looks nice. Love those two tone green GPO sets. Let's see the other 6 in your collection.

Terry

david@london

thanks terry..... the two-tone green is one of my favourites.

some 'before' pics from ebay of the aqua blues .........

..... 1/59 aqua 500 c/d from harrisburg pennsylvania.

..... 1/58 aqua 500 c/d from fraser, colorado - a small town 30 miles up the road from the 'sleeper' house at genesee.

david@london

5-59 WE A/B 591 moss green .............and '44 302 signal corps .

TelePlay

Quote from: david@london on December 17, 2012, 07:34:50 PM12-52 signal corps WE 500 GA 51859* .................*don't know what these numbers mean, .....put them here in hopes someone will enlighten me

This may help. Scroll down to the end of the 500 sets, just before the 501s, to find the military GA 51859.

http://www.paul-f.com/we500typ.htm

PS, very nice phones and great colors on that '61 706.

david@london

.........thanks for that pointer to the paul-f page.

i believe the phone comes from a usaf base in east anglia. 

david@london

c/d 500 1/58 aqua.........

david@london

ivory gpo 746 (1983)....

.........now in the collection of mr. bones

david@london

...i put a new dial card in the kellogg redbar.
........seems to make all the difference.

david@london

.........new dial card for the moss green 591 .....+ ephrata card.

(i got these from 'wordmike' who is/was on the forum...also the ae card on the redbar + the black melrose 7 card on the 500. i gave up trying to get authentic cards copied from the collectors' weekly numbercard archive. getting the right size is tricky, and even at a commercial printing shop i was given astonished and bemused looks, and no cards. i think someone who could properly print these cards onto cartridge paper to the right sizes could have a nice sideline business in the classifieds .............. !?)

unbeldi

Quote from: david@london on March 21, 2013, 08:09:41 AM

......   i gave up trying to get authentic cards copied from the collectors' weekly numbercard archive. getting the right size is tricky, and even at a commercial printing shop i was given astonished and bemused looks, and no cards. i think someone who could properly print these cards onto cartridge paper to the right sizes could have a nice sideline business in the classifieds .............. !?)

What seems to be the problem with getting the size right?
Most image editing software these day, on OS X even the built-in image preview, has simple tools to resize and resample an image and set the proper dots-per-inch, or whatever your measurement units are.
With a couple of practices the result comes out perfect every time when printing even on cheap laser printers.  The only limitation is when the original image has low resolution, because resampling those introduces artifacts and blur, but with some effort could be cleaned up.

But... the only "authentic" cards are the original authentic cards, nothing can make a card authentic, no printer, no process, so why even try? Any laser printer these days has plenty of blackness to produce authentic looking cards, if you find a suitable card stock.

If I want to print a whole sheet of cards, I simply create a large image of the same dots/in resolution and paste the premade card image into it multiple times in rows.
I use a circular punch (less than $10 on Amazon) to cut the cards perfectly. Well, extra notches, etc. need to be done manually, sure.

david@london

thanks for your feedback.
the main problems i've had in obtaining prints of the numbercard archive dial cards have been a) i don't have a printer + b) printing shops can't/won't get the re-sizing thing right.
the last place i went to offered me a sheet with cards sized at about 1/2 inch diameter.

twocvbloke

Get yourself to a computer shop and buy a printer!!! :D

You can get fairly decent colour Laser printers for relatively little money these days, and the quality they put out far surpasses that of most inkjets, and the toner lasts a lot longer and the cost per page is a lot lower than the ink they put into inkjets (which per gram is more valuable than gold!)... :)

unbeldi

From your picture of the SKyline dialcard I had no trouble making a replica blank dial card, actually a whole sheet of them.  Fill in the station number and print it on 'aged' card stock or use a color printer to age the background graphically.

david@london

unbeldi - that is a very well-made copy.
....... if it were printed, as you say, on card like the original below, it would look pretty much spot-on.