News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Bell Flanges (was Scarce 1921 Bell SNET Sign)

Started by Fabius, May 21, 2014, 09:00:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fabius

This is one of the tougher 21 Bell 11x11 signs to find:

http://tinyurl.com/jvqaqg2

Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

tallguy58

Where's Sargeguy to tell us all about this sign.

He's our resident expert, no?
Cheers........Bill

Sargeguy

Fabius is our resident expert.  I am a newbie to sign collecting and I don't even own the collector's guides.  I am bidding on this one however.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Fabius

Southern New England Telephone (SNET) porcelain telephone signs are scarce. I have the 11x11 21 Bell sign and the hub cap. SNET served a large portion of Connecticut. New York Telephone served the southwestern part of Conn. that was near NYC. There was also Woodbury Telephone that served Woodbury, Southbury and Bethlehem Conn. SNET was part of the Bell System but AT&T did not have total ownership of it. Thus at divestiture SNET did not become part of NYNEX (baby bell). Woodbury Telephone though controlled by SNET was not part of the Bell System. I worked as a CO tech at Woodbury Tel back about 1973. I believe SNET eventually absorbed Woodbury Telephone.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

Sargeguy

Here is another one you don't see too often:

NORTHWESTERN BELL TELEPHONE TELEGRAPH FLANGE SIGN
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Fabius

Quote from: Sargeguy on May 22, 2014, 06:53:40 PM
Fabius is our resident expert.  I am a newbie to sign collecting and I don't even own the collector's guides.  I am bidding on this one however.

Where you able to win the SNET sign?
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

Sargeguy

I don't really collect Southern New England Telephone stuff (I usually only collect the telcos that were active in RI) so I did not bid too heavily on it.  A Southern Massachusetts Telephone Company or Providence Telephone Company sign or even Westerly Automatic Telephone Company sign would have loosened the purse strings.  Those signs are either extremely rare or nonexistent.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Fabius

Yes, another scarce sign. And this one pretty nice. This one, while scarce, is a little more common then the SNET sign. About 20 years ago a bunch of the C&ST 11x11s and hubcaps hit the market. A cable splicer who worked for them sold a bunch of the C&ST sign that he had.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

Sargeguy

Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Fabius

That one is really scarce. It looks to be in good condition. It's been on flea bay for a while now. The reason it hasn't sold is because many buyers get scared off when a seller starts an item high. When I sell something that I know is worth hundreds I start it at $10. Get the people bidding and caught up in the emotion of the auction.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

Sargeguy

Here is another you don't see very often:

Upstate Telephone Corporation of New York porcelain sign
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Fabius

Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

Sargeguy

An even scarcer version of the SNET sign is the one with "SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA TELEPHONE CO." printed on the other side:
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Fabius

Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905