News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Bell / Western Electric - "Mod 1 Picturephone"

Started by MagicMo, November 18, 2012, 02:35:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AE_Collector

Hygrade Sylvania Corporation was formed by the July 1931 merger of the Hygrade Lamp Company, Nilco Lamp Works Inc & Sylvania Products Company. The companies had been renewers of burned out light bulbs and manufacturers of new light bulbs and vacuum tubes.

The name was again changed in 1942 to Sylvania Electric Products. Agreement was reached on November 6, 1958 to merge with General Telephone Corporation. The merger completed on March 5 1959 and the name of the combined organization was changed to General Telephone & Electronics Corporation.

Terry

Dave F

I finally located my W.E. Message Register mentioned earlier in this topic.  This one is a 15A, not precisely the same model as the one in Maureen's Picturephone Control Unit, but very similar.  These event counters were employed extensively in central offices to log circuit usage for maintenance, billing and statistical purposes.  The counter advances one digit with each applied voltage pulse and is manually reset to zero by pulling and releasing the knob on the front.

DF

Doug Rose

Maureen hasn't posted on her picturephone in a month. I wonder if she found someone to "help" her. I would have loved to see this go on eBay. This would have been a five figure auction.....Doug
Kidphone

Greg G.

Quote from: Doug Rose on December 24, 2012, 08:49:26 AM
Maureen hasn't posted on her picturephone in a month. I wonder if she found someone to "help" her. I would have loved to see this go on eBay. This would have been a five figure auction.....Doug

One way to find out is to just ask her.  I sent her a PM wishing her a Merry Christmas and asked her to pop in, say howdy-doody and bring us up to date on her treasure horde.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

MagicMo

Quote from: Brinybay on December 25, 2012, 07:18:20 PM
Quote from: Doug Rose on December 24, 2012, 08:49:26 AM

One way to find out is to just ask her.  I sent her a PM wishing her a Merry Christmas and asked her to pop in, say howdy-doody and bring us up to date on her treasure horde.

Hello All!!
I just ran outta gas. I haven't sold a thing yet. I have just been moving everything to my house to clean, sort and research value. I'll post pics when it's complete. If I do sell the picturephone it will def go on ebay for sure! I just can't bring myself to let it go just yet. I did find a few more cool Bell goodies too.
As much as my Dad loved phones, I'm realizing he loved old radios too. OMG!! You have no idea of the vast collection of radios he had.
Email me anytime!
MagicMo32@cs.com
~Maureen
Practice Kindness :)

AE40FAN

MagicMo

Quote from: AE40FAN on December 29, 2012, 08:41:37 PM
l'd love to see pictures of the radios!

Hi AE40FAN,
I posted some pics of the radios in the "off topic" radio section of the forum if you would like to see.
Thanks!
~Maureen

MagicMo

Hello Friends,

FYI, I will be selling the Picturephone soon. I am going to post it on Ebay within the next two weeks. I need the time to take some nice pics and get the equipment out of the attic. I will let everyone know the day before the Auction begins. I'm excited and sad at the same time. I hope someone from this forum wins the auction, nothing would make me happier.

Stay tuned!
~Maureen

Greg G.

Quote from: MagicMo on January 18, 2013, 08:55:17 PM
Hello Friends,

FYI, I will be selling the Picturephone soon. I am going to post it on Ebay within the next two weeks. I need the time to take some nice pics and get the equipment out of the attic. I will let everyone know the day before the Auction begins. I'm excited and sad at the same time. I hope someone from this forum wins the auction, nothing would make me happier.

Stay tuned!
~Maureen

Auction Contest!!  
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

AE_Collector

Yeah no need to keep it under the radar until the auction is over!

Terry

Sargeguy

You may want to consider having it photographed by a professional, nice pictures will likely add to the final price realized.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

MagicMo

Quote from: Sargeguy on January 18, 2013, 11:18:35 PM
You may want to consider having it photographed by a professional, nice pictures will likely add to the final price realized.

I never even thought of that. I actually have high tech camera equipment at work, I'll get one of the guys to help me out. Good Idea!
Thanks,
~Maureen

MagicMo

Hello All,
Today is the big day. I am putting the Picturephone on Ebay tonight around 6 pm Chicago time. I would like to get the word out to everyone that would be interested so I know it will go to a serious collector who understands the History.
I'm very excited about finally getting the nerve to sell it but I also spent yesterday evening in tears, hoping my Dad would give me his blessings to sell it while I was writing up the EBay description.
So, I guess I am reaching out to all of you who speak of your family on this forum. Would you be OK with your family selling one of your prize possessions after you were gone? (sorry for the frankness).
Whether or not anyone answers this, I know if I don't sell it, it will end up sitting hidden away in my basement until the end of time, when my kids kids unearth it and throw it in the junk pile to be hauled away, so, I guess I answered my own question.
Sorry for the long message, this is just very difficult for me because the pain of loosing my Dad is something I continue to struggle with and I feel as though my heart cannot bear anymore loss nor would I want him to be disappointed in me for making the wrong decision.
Blah, blah, blah, we woman are something else, aren't we? This post sounds like a eulogy for my Picturephone! I gotta get my self psyched to enjoy this next week and realize this should be a joyful time for me and the lucky auction winner. Again, I hope it is someone from this forum.
Thanks,
Maureen

Nick in Manitou

No apologies needed.

A lot of us on the forum are of an age where we have lost one or both of our folks and are facing decisions about what to do with the "stuff" left over. 

The memories we can cherish and play over and over, but the "stuff" can be a challenge.  How much of it do we keep because it was theirs, and how do we dispose of what we don't have space for, interest in, or the funds to maintain?  It is a tough process and there is no easy way to decide.

It seems to me that the memories are what is real and the physical items were just props in the play.

Hold on to the memories and enjoy the process of redistributing the material items as much as you can.  Perhaps this process will add to the memories.

There you go, unrequested advice from someone with a lot of "stuff" he is trying to figure out what to do with.

Nick

Dave F

Quote from: MagicMo on January 27, 2013, 02:23:21 PM
<snip>...So, I guess I am reaching out to all of you who speak of your family on this forum. Would you be OK with your family selling one of your prize possessions after you were gone? (sorry for the frankness)....
The answer all depends on what's going on in your own mind.  Would you be happy keeping it as a reminder of the good past times of your life?  Or, do you think your father would have urged you to benefit from it to the max?

Anyway, I'll certainly be watching!

Best of luck on the auction.

Dave F.