"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Bell / Western Electric - "Mod 1 Picturephone"

Started by MagicMo, November 18, 2012, 02:35:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AE_Collector

Quote from: G-Man on February 03, 2013, 08:52:16 PM
I'm not sure to whom your comments are directed to but if it is me, please be advised that I have already donated several desirable items including rare early 500-sets to his museum. And I've been in recent discussions regarding some additional items that he desires.

No I meant "if that happens" IE John and Wayne fly out to pick it up, Maureen should "open her museum" IE her dads house, to see if they want to buy some other items.

Terry

G-Man

Quote from: AE_Collector on February 03, 2013, 09:14:07 PM
I'm not sure to whom your comments are directed to but if it is me, please be advised that I have already donated several desirable items including rare early 500-sets to his museum. And I've been in recent discussions regarding some additional items that he desires.

No I meant "if that happens" IE John and Wayne fly out to pick it up, Maureen should "open her museum" IE her dads house, to see if they want to buy some other items.

Terry

Terry-

GREAT IDEA!

QuietStove

Quote from: G-Man on February 03, 2013, 09:19:49 PM
Quote from: AE_Collector on February 03, 2013, 09:14:07 PM

Terry

Terry-

GREAT IDEA!

A bad idea for the seller.  Good thing she didn't sell the Mod1 for 5K.  :)

Craig 

AE_Collector

At this point in time Maureen is going to want to sell 500's for $1800, 302's for $3000, Car phones for $10,000, phone jacks for $250 etc. If she feels that someone is low balling the price she can consult before selling anything. John would still have the opportunity to see what else is there that might be of interest to him.

Maureen has hundreds or maybe thousands of low dollar items that would take a lifetime to list and sell each on ebay and frankly, almost every other ebay auction she lists now is going to be a dissapointment after the Picturephone.

Terry

Phonesrfun

There has only been one comment in the TCI listserve.  probably a function of having a certain football game going on.
-Bill G

DavePEI

Hi All:

This has to have been one of the highlights of my time on the forum. Not only seeing Mo's Picture-phone go to an excellent new home, but also to see Mo's good fortune. And to see how we all pulled together in support of her!

Now this is over, it is going to be hard to find anything more interesting to talk about. It seems to be the crowning achievement of the list!

The fact that the Picture phone will be fixed up and proudly displayed in the JKL museum, where they have the expertise and yes, even parts for its maintenance is wonderful!

Bless you, Mo, and I am certain your father would have been very happy and proud of you tonight! You have honoured him, and his collection beyond any reasonable expectation!

If you were my daughter, I would be so proud of you. Heck, I am anyway, and proud to say we have all followed your quest from the beginning post :)

Bless you!

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

Phonesrfun

Dave:

I most certainly echo all of what you just said.

-Bill Geurts
-Bill G

AE_Collector

I am certain that it many similar situations a house full of "junk" like this would have been loaded into a dumpster so that the house could be put up for sale. We have all heard stories similar to that. It is certainly a good thing that Maureen did some investigating and found "us" to advise her.

While Maureen was posting loads of pictures, Brinybay saw one and asked:

Quote from: Brinybay on November 18, 2012, 12:22:02 PM
What is this thing?

Terry

Phonesrfun

I remember that picture.  I think I gasped and said I thought it was an original Picturephone.
-Bill G

AE_Collector

Quote from: Phonesrfun on February 03, 2013, 11:31:58 PM
I remember that picture.  I think I gasped and said I thought it was an original Picturephone.

Yes you did, see the next post. And you "Called it" correctly as well....

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=7975.0

Quote from: Phonesrfun on November 18, 2012, 12:30:18 PM
Could it be???

Looks like the top of a Picturephone!

The photos look a bit "stretched".  A picturephone would be quite a catch, if that's what it is.

Terry

Phonesrfun

It has been fun. 

I remember now that the original photo was somehow distorted on my iPad.  Even distorted, I was sure it was a Picturephone.  Sometimes pictures posted in this forum look weird on my iPad.  Since I have gotten this thing, I rarely use my actual computer unless I need to type a long reply or include an attachment.
-Bill G

AE_Collector

Of course the picturephone pictures were all in the original topic about Maureens Fathers 40 years with Bell. I split it at that point where Briny said "What's this?" I think I should now merge the "on ebaY starting tonight" topic back into the "Mod 1 Picturephone" topic.

I use the Ipad a lot as well but as I am right now, I revert to the laptop on occasion as well.

Terry

MagicMo

Ya, how do I top that one? I don't!
This has been a great ending to a wonderful day. Thank you all for helping me through the "BIG" Auction. It just goes to show you that you never know whats hidden in the attic. I remember contacting someone before I found your forum who in an email told me that my Picturephone was worthless. Could you imagine if I listened to him? I don't think he knew it was a Mod 1, neither did I at that point. While it doesn't get much better than this I still have a long road ahead of me with all the other stuff and I will certainly run it by you guys first.
AND, I don't think there is anything wrong with starting my own "little" phone collection.
Sorry Boys, your stuck with me!  ;)
Mo
Practice Kindness :)

unbeldi

Phonesrfun

Mo, we all look forward to being "stuck" with you.
-Bill G