News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Unable to locate a 684AT subset diagram

Started by j.bridwell, March 23, 2009, 09:45:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dennis Markham

Philip, with regard to the clapper resting against the gong......I would rotate the gong, if you can so that the clapper/striker does not make contact with either gong while at rest.  It will stifle the ring at the end of the ringing cycle.  I don't think there is a specific measurement as far as distance.  I think the ringers ring differently depending on where it is connected.  So you can fine tune it to the ringing voltage where it will be working.  Adjust it away from the clapper and test it.  I like to hold one gong while it is ringing so that I am isolating the other side and just listen to what sounds best.  If it's ringing true and clear the it's good.  Then do the other one.  Sometimes if they're not spread far enough apart the clapper doesn't get a full swing and won't return as nicely.  Just doing this from experience it seems like the clapper pushes off the gong and if it's too far away it loses some strength for the return.  But just play with your gong until it sounds right....just don't tell anyone you spent time playing with your gong and clapper.  :)

I don't know about the E terminal but I would imagine that it's there for some other application.

bingster

Not surprisingly for Western Electric, there actually is a measurement  for the space between the clapper ball and gongs when at rest.  It's 1/64" for the older ringer types.  But I do just as Dennis said--hook it up, call the number, let it ring away while you rotate each gong to find it's sweet spot. After doing that adjustment, you can adjust the bias spring to eliminate any "bell tap" caused by dialing, or by other phones on the same line being picked up. With that bias spring adjustment, you'll find there's an incredibly tiny sweet spot between the spot where you get bell tap and the spot where you get diminished ringer function.
= DARRIN =

Dennis Markham

Thanks Bingster.....we all learn something every day.  I didn't know there was an actual measurement but I should have known.  The Bell System didn't leave anything to chance.