News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Brown W48 on eBay

Started by tubaman, October 15, 2023, 09:31:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tubaman

This rather nice brown W48 has just finished on eBay - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/186111825187
It's been remade as these never came in brown to my knowledge.
Fetched €293 - approx £254 or $US307
It was on my watch list but I didn't bid.

Original description in German and Goggle translated version:

"Telefon W48 - Sondermodell in braun - echt Bakelitt - RARITÄT - fabrikneu!
Detailgerechter Nachbau des legendären Klassikers der Wirtschaftswunderjahre!
Sonderedition - von jeder Sonderfarbe wurden nur wenige Stück hergestellt! Es werden auch nie wieder weitere mehr gebaut!
100% Funktionsfähig!
Bakelit-Teile aus den Originalformen hochglanzpoliert, mechanischer Wecker und Glockenschalen aus Metall, hochwertige textile Handapparateschnur aus Zellwolleisengarn, Nummernschalter (Wählscheibe), exzellente akustische Eigenschaften; dynamische Hörkapsel und Transistormikrofon, Anschlusskabel 3 m RJ11/TAE-DE - Impulswahl"

"Telephone W48 - special model in brown - genuine Bakelitt - RARITY - brand new!
Detailed replica of the legendary classic of the economic miracle years!
Special edition - only a few pieces of each special color were produced! No more will ever be built again!
100% functional!
Bakelite parts from the original molds highly polished, mechanical alarm clock and bell shells made of metal, high-quality textile handset cord made of rayon yarn, number switch (dial), excellent acoustic properties; dynamic earpiece and transistor microphone, connection cable 3 m RJ11/TAE-DE - pulse dialing"

LarryInMichigan

I wonder how much my brown Finnish W36 (forum link) might be worth.

Larry

countryman

Those brown W48 type phones appear once in a while - rarish, but not super rare. IIRC they were made by Siemens' Austrian branch. They weren't officially used by the Austrian Post, but in private installations.
The correct denomination would be its cryptic Siemens number I guess. A photo of the underside might have shown it. It looks like the seller got a good deal, even more so as the fingerwheel is not the original one.
The Finnish W36 type phone is more interesting with its complex diagram, never seen one like this. Probably made by a Siemens contractor or affiliate company in Finland. The dial center is nice!

tubaman

Quote from: countryman on October 15, 2023, 11:52:12 AMThose brown W48 type phones appear once in a while - rarish, but not super rare. IIRC they were made by Siemens' Austrian branch. ...

The description of this one, assuming correct translation, says it's made from remolded parts and given the condition I can believe that.

countryman

You are right, such versions exist. I did not know about brown ones, but possibly they were made. Around 1990 a series of remolded shells appeared with PCB mounted circuitry. The price seems to be a bit of a stretch though.