"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Dial Plates

Started by Sargeguy, November 06, 2010, 11:07:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sargeguy

I won these on eBay:

I was after the celluloid dialplate of course, which is in great condition except for the discoloration.  The rest are an interesting lot.  I can't remember what the blank one is for, payphone???  The best of the marked 164As is not marked 184A which I assume means it is aftermarket.  I will have to stick it on one of my 251s.  The WECO 164As all have issues.  DOes anyone know if I use CLR on the enamel if the numbers will fade out as well?
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

bingster

The numbers won't fade with cleaning.  The red and black colors are porcelain enamel, just as the white is.  It's not as thick as the white, which is why they wear after many years, but cleaning will have no effect.
= DARRIN =

Sargeguy

Here is a picture after about 10 minutes of scrubbing with SLR and a toothbrush:

The scanner highlights some of the spots where corrosion remains but they are much improved.  The unmarked dial plate actually has a stamp on the back, so I guess it is WECO.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

bingster

The one in the upper left is also the one in the upper right in the top photo, right?  If so, the difference is remarkable.  The stains may not be completely gone, but it's a tremendous improvement.
= DARRIN =

Sargeguy

I believe I solved the mystery of the blank dial

This is a NOS #6C from an eBay auction.

Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Phonesrfun

Blank dial plates with no numbers and no spots were used in pay phones.
-Bill G

Doug Rose

Quote from: Phonesrfun on November 10, 2010, 08:51:42 PM
Blank dial plates with no numbers and no spots were used in pay phones.
Bill....I thought the pay phones plates were White with Black dots.

I have a 10 NOS of these WE blank white porcelain plates if anyone needs some?...Doug
Kidphone

Dennis Markham

Here's a shot from a current eBay listing for a 195G 3-Slot pay phone.

Phonesrfun

My 233G has no dots and I have two NE payphones I have been working on for a friend that have no dots either.
-Bill G

Sargeguy

My 320 mine telephone has a blank dial plate, although completely different, so I should have suspected that other 'daisy-wheel" phones would be the same.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

cloyd

Sargeguy,
I have a dial plate that has the same overall brown discoloration as you show on the #149B dial plate on this discussion.  http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=3755.msg49780#msg49780
You only show the 164A's in your "after" pictures.  Were you successful in whitening the 149B?  Could you let me know what you used?  I have read that hydrochloric acid works.  I teach science and I can get HCl but I would need to know the concentration.  Please let me know the details of how you whitened that dial.
Thank you,
Tina Loyd
-- I am always doing what I cannot do yet, in order to learn how to do it. - Van Gogh -- 1885

Ktownphoneco

Tina   ....     I'm sure Greg, and everyone else will give you pretty much the same advise.      If you have a celluloid number plate, I'd highly recommend you leave it as is.     Here is one of many descriptions of celluloid on the web :   a transparent flammable plastic made in sheets from camphor and nitrocellulose, formerly used for cinematographic film.

It takes on a yellow haze over time, and there isn't much you can do about it.      Celluloid number plates are highly collectible, and some go for significant prices on eBay.     Chipping, or other damage will reduce the price somewhat, but yellowing doesn't diminish it's value one bit.

If it's a porcelain number plate, and the yellowing is a thin film of rust, "CLR" will work, and there's a real good cleaner on the market called "Spray Nine" that does an excellent job of cleaning as well.      If it just dirt, use warm water and dish detergent and a brush.   

I'm sure some of the other CRPF members will have some good advise for you as well.

Enjoy the rest of the day.

Jeff Lamb

unbeldi

Just a small correction as to the material of the plate.

The plastic layers on the No. 149 type plate were made from cellulose acetate, the same material as telephone housings.   Cellulose nitrate, traditionally called Celluloid, was rarely used anymore at this time, but was used for motion picture films.

The problem with treating these face plates is that they easily separate from the metal substrate after this much time. The cellulose acetate shrinks and stress builds internally apparently in excess of the strength of the bonding to the metal.  This stress also often causes flaking, crazing, and cracking.

That said, I could possibly be tempted to try surface bleaching by placing a thin layer of bleach solution onto the surface with a pipette and laying it in the bright sun or a uv lamp. This works very well for entire telephone housings, so I don't see why it shouldn't here, except for the presence of the red lettering. I haven't tried this personally frankly, because I don't feel it detracts from appeal or price as Jeff pointed out.

unbeldi

The No. 150 dial face plate was announced briefly in Bell Laboratory Record Volume 17 (10), 52 (1938) as pictured. It mentions the old material.

cloyd

I should always post pictures even when I think there is no need because the answer will be simple.  I thought all dial plates were porcelain.  I am glad I asked!  It looks like my dial plate (149B) is one model short of the new process (150).  I placed a WE5J next to the 149B dial plate so you can judge the color better.  I would love to have a crisp, white dial plate but this one matches the date of the phone.  Now I know the story.
Thank you for the advice,
Tina
-- I am always doing what I cannot do yet, in order to learn how to do it. - Van Gogh -- 1885