"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Slow initial site access.

Started by N7LTH, September 16, 2015, 07:19:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

N7LTH

Howdy-

I don't know if anyone else is having this issue, but when I try to access this site it takes around 25 seconds or so before it comes up. Once I'm here, though, it's business as usual. I find this rather odd.

Are there perhaps others on this forum having similar delays? It might just be a URL translation glitch that eventually irons out or something like that...

That's all.
You know you have either phonitis or phonosis when your favorite film is "Dial Comes to Town".

Doug Rose

no issues with me or ay least issues accessing the Forum  8)...Doug
Kidphone

wds

I'm running fine.  Are you using Internet Explorer?
Dave

andre_janew

I've experienced that sort of thing sometimes when I check my email.  I think it has something to do with a bunch of people trying to log on at once.  It has been described as "Internet Gridlock" along with some other things I can't say on this forum!  Whatever you want to call it, if you wait a half hour it'll clear up and you'll get on much quicker.

N7LTH

Quote from: wds on September 16, 2015, 08:01:13 AM
I'm running fine.  Are you using Internet Explorer?

Nope, using Chrome. I'll try it again, but I'm pretty sure I have the same issue with Ubuntu Linux.

It's been happening for a few days now.
You know you have either phonitis or phonosis when your favorite film is "Dial Comes to Town".

DavePEI

No issues here the past few days either in Firefox, or in IE. My thought is it could be a problem in your local nameserver which results in its taking a while to initially resolve the address? If that is the cause, it would be browser independent.

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

N7LTH

That's what I was kind of thinking, not a browser issue. I'm logged in with the Linux version of Chrome and the same thing happened.

At least I still gain access (for now), albeit very slowly...

Greg G.

I'm using Chrome and have not had any trouble accessing, just the usual picture security uploading problems.  I'm having to convert them to png.  Minor inconvenience.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

N7LTH

I just tried it again via Win 7/Chrome and (for now) it loaded normally, with very little delay... go figure.

HarrySmith

Have you tried clearing out all your histories? Stored sites, browser history, temp files, etc? That may do the trick.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

N7LTH

It was only with this site and no other, and it seems fine now. It also didn't matter whether I used Win 7 or Linux, the delay was the same. I didn't try flushing the caches, but I would think that at least my Linux/Chrome combination wouldn't be as cluttered (I also flushed its cache IIRC not all that long ago).

It was a head-scratcher, for sure.

DavePEI

Quote from: N7LTH on September 19, 2015, 10:52:52 PM
It was only with this site and no other, and it seems fine now. It also didn't matter whether I used Win 7 or Linux, the delay was the same. I didn't try flushing the caches, but I would think that at least my Linux/Chrome combination wouldn't be as cluttered (I also flushed its cache IIRC not all that long ago).

It was a head-scratcher, for sure.
It does sound as though it may have been a problem with your local nameserver. It is what directs you and gives your system the route to a site on the Internet. Nameserver data for sites can become corrupt, causing longer than normal connect times to those sites, while allowing instant access to others. The nameserver may have now reloaded the data resulting int he improvement you noted.

Daave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001