News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

302 Arrived today. Step by Step Cleanup. With photos.

Started by Dan/Panther, October 21, 2008, 06:42:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan/Panther

Hobiesport;
Thank you very much, that builds my confidence tremendously.
I have a Doctors appointment today, so will continue this evening.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

BDM

Gotta agree. That came to you as a "thing". Now it looks like a clean example of an H1 mount ;)
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

Dan/Panther

I didn't like the look of the dial and dial number ring, so I took them back off to smooth further, and repaint. The paint just didn't turn out smooth enough.
D/P

Bill Cahill

Dan, may I see how the dial looks now?
I'm impressed with the case. Mehbe you're being too critical of yerself?
Bill Cahill   ;D

"My friends used to keep saying I had batts in my belfry. No. I'm just hearing bells....."

Dan/Panther

Here are two pictures of the stripped base, the inside is good enough that I'm going to leave it alone.
The bottom needs cleaned and repainted.

I tried to get a better photo of the dial after I repainted it, it turned out much better, but I just can't get a photo that separates the dial black from the phone black, so all you see are the white number holes. I'll take it outside and try a photo out there.

D/P

BDM

Of course, I could send a whole complete bottom section. I probably have about 10 of those stripped away of parts. Except for those that you left on yours. Some in very nice shape.
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

Dan/Panther

I cleaned it up real good, painted the bottom, and it's in the oven right now baking the paint on.
I bake at about 200 to 220 degrees for about 2 hours. That insures all of the solvents are completely dried out of the paint. It really makes the paint  much more durable, and seem smoother also.

BDM;
Need my address..... ;D ;D ;D

D/P

HobieSport

BDM

--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

Dan/Panther

BDM;
Thank you for the offer, The one I have is fine. I was just kidding.

Here is a photo of the base after It was painted and dried.

Next I'm going to test and reshape, and then remount the Capacitor.
Then clean and remount the Induction Coil.
D/P

Dan/Panther

Accordingb to the wiring diagram I downloaded, the capacitor should have the following two values.
Between the Black and Red leads, you should have a reading of 2 MF. Then between the Yellow and Slate colored wires you should read, .5 MF.

As you can see the readings are Red To Black, 2.28 MF, and  Slate to Yellow, .556 MF, Both within the 20% rule, so the capacitor is still within specs, and I'm not going to replace it. The capacitor was very distorted because the screw securing it was missing so during shipping it became slightly dinged up.
I laid it on a firm surface and gently using the end of a small screw driver was able to reshape rthe capacitor back to like new condition, I then cleaned it up, with some Scotchbrite. and remounted it back into it's holder.
Next I cleaned up the Induction Coil with a toothbrush, simple green, and some Q-Tips. Then remounted it, and wired up the Capacitor and the Induction Coil, according to the schematic.
Next I'm going to clean up and polish the ringer section.

D/P

BDM

--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

McHeath

Wow you are really doing a number of this phone, nice work! 

Dan/Panther

Here is ringer assembly back on the frame, and the next photo is the Bells, being they were not brass, it made clean up much easier.
I assume, NON Bell system phones got steel bells whereas, Bell System phones were Brass ?

Hobiesport;
To answer your question about paint, It is sold by True Value, I've never used the brand before, but it seems to take to baking better than, Krylon, or Rustoleum, and seems to be as harder after baking.
It's called: Premium Decor.

D/P

Dan/Panther

Next I worked on the cradle contact assembly, finger hold, and receiver buttons.

I can not over emphasize the importance of making sure you have a photo, a drawing IN DETAIL, or a Chinese copy of the contact assembly. Mine had bad copper oxide in some spots, so to clean it properly, I had to take it APART. I carefully laid all the parts in order and properly oriented as I took them apart piece by piece.
About half way through the reassembly process, I realised I was loosing it, and did not have the total recall I thought when I took it apart, as most parts fit either orientation but only one is correct.
Here comes the Chinese Copy part. I took apart another 302 that I have and used it to put this one back together. Don't trust this step to your memory, you will find out how woughfully inadequate it is.

D/P