News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

What is this?

Started by Greg G., April 15, 2009, 05:28:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg G.

I've seen pictures of this type of phone somewhere, but darned if I can find it.  It looks like a WE 302, but it doesn't have any letters on the dial, just numbers, and they're white on black.  And what's that white dot below the dial?

I traced the URL for the picture and it says No Longer Available. Maybe the site removed the photo, or the site may be down.
Dan

http://home.comcast.net/~gsgoebel/otherphones/Unknown.jpg
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

mienaichizu

looks like European made, maybe LM Ericsson?  ???

JimH

I had one just like it when I was a kid.  Radio Shack sold them for $8.95, but you couldn't let the phone company know you had it!  When the white button was pushed, it was the same as if the phone was off the hook.  Also, whenever you picked up another extension in the house, that phone would "ding" one time.  So you could push a switch-hook on another phone several times and signal the extension.  My mom used to use it to call me for dinner!
Jim H.

contraste

Looks very similar to a German Siemans model, lots of the old European phones have that white button.

HobieSport

Is it not a PTT?  I'm really unfamiliar with these phones but am interested in learning more.  Anything similar to the 302s interests me.

contraste

Greg G.

Quote from: HobieSport on April 15, 2009, 12:41:05 PM
Is it not a PTT?  I'm really unfamiliar with these phones but am interested in learning more.  Anything similar to the 302s interests me.

Maybe, but I see some differences, e.g. no white button, different cradle ears.  So are PTT German telephones? http://secure.prozhost.com/funutahauctions.com/utah_auctions/lot_details.php?id=53052

The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

HobieSport

Brineybay, I have a Dutch PTT phone and it looks the same as in your picture in your link, with the sloped ears and the button.  But I really know nothing about PTT, Ericsson, etc..

bingster

It looks like the KTAS M52 shown in white on this page.  It's got the same odd notched ears and F style handset.  Most of these European phones could be had with or without that button.

http://www.bobsoldphones.net/Pages/KTAS/KTAS.htm

= DARRIN =

Greg G.

Here they are for a side-by-side comparison.  The 4th one has a different dial.  It looks most like the German phone.

- Mike Row
e

contraste

I think PTT was the Dutch equivalent of Bell but not a listed company, rather it was owned by the Netherlands government.

mienaichizu

Quote from: Brinybay on April 15, 2009, 03:24:37 PM
Here they are for a side-by-side comparison.  The 4th one has a different dial.  It looks most like the German phone.

the 4th one looks a lot similar to my LM Ericsson phone only with a different handset
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=167.0

contraste

Greg G.

Went ahead and bought it, with shipping it came to $12.55.  It's a Dutch PTT. Works, but doesn't ring for incoming calls.  I think it's from the mid-60s, although I'm not real sure.  There's some markings on the underside of the dial that look like 1964, but it's hard to tell.  I don't know what the numbers on the bottom mean.  That white "dot" is a button that depresses and springs back, but I have no idea what its function is.

My NEC is the same way, works but doesn't ring, is that something to do with foreign phones?

http://img25.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=ptt015.jpg
- Mike Row
e

contraste

Found this on the web:

Some of you out there have probably purchased a Dutch or Belgian "standard" PTT telephone. These come in a number of different flavors, but there are three main biggies: The Belgian Western Electric 302 variant or look-alike (1945 through the late 70's made by Bell System AG Belgium), the Dutch HEEMAF or the Dutch "Ruen" or Ericsson phones.

All of these have a common wiring scheme more or less. The parts may not be interchangeable but they have similar if not identical values and characteristics. For instances the Belgian "standard" HEEMAF uses the Siemens type dial and the Ruen and Ericsson versions use the Ericsson dial.

When you remove the base shell from the base plate of the phone, in the back you will see a wiring block with 13 connections. Here are the values for those connections so its easy for you to convert it for your use here in the United States. Wiring block connections are numbered 1 - 13 so its hard to miss: DIAL = Red to 1, Yellow to 2, Blue (or Blue & Green) to 3; HANDSET = Red (Transmitter) to 5, Blue (Receiver/Transmitter.Common) to 6 and Yellow (Receiver) to 7. JUMPER CABLE: You need a small jumper wire from 9 to 10. LINE CORD = Green to 9 or 10 and Red to 11.

A few Dutch PTT's require that the jumper be placed between 10 and 11 on the wiring or bus strip rather than between 9 and 10. Apparently some of the earlier 1950's PTT's had a slightly different schematic. So as a correction, having located one of those phones, here is the alternate wiring set-up:

Dial: Red to 1, Yellow to 2, Blue to 3.

Handset: Red to 5, Blue to 6, Yellow to 7.

Line cord: Red to 9, Green to 10.

Jumper: 10 to 11.

Good luck

Lee