News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

North Signal Corps Phone

Started by Doug Rose, March 09, 2015, 12:18:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

I took a mental health day today and decided to clean the workbench. After I was finished  I saw this guy and I couldn't resist. These are so different than the regular North Galions as the handset comes out the side instead of sharing the back. It is taller and the cradle area is very different. This was an eBay find for $9.99 plus shipping. No one seems to like the Norths, I sure do. This had a very different receiver cap on it. Bakelite cleaned up like a dream. Love the thick curly cord....Doug

http://www.ebay.com/item/181669055844
( dead link 05-17-21 )
Kidphone

LarryInMichigan

Those North Signal Corps phones don't seem to get much interest, but this one looks nice.  Mine has a number of gouges in the plastic.  I think that the receiver cap on this was a makeshift replacement.  A cap from a standard North handset should fit.  The thick handset cord is cute but not especially practical as it doesn't stretch very far.

Larry

Doug Rose

Hey Larry....my case is bakelite as I used steel wool and brasso on it as it was really in tough shape. Lots of crud on it with tape all over it.  I know I have another North Handset some where to steal a cap from. I was going to sell it, but I might reconsider. It is so different from the standard North Galions.....Doug
Kidphone

LarryInMichigan

The shell on my North Signal Corps phone is plastic like some sort of tenite.  Mine had an FTR dial, but I reassigned the dial to an FTR Signal Corp phone and installed a WE #5 dial in its place.  The original post about mine is here: forum link.

Larry

I bought this one off eBay last December. It's sitting at may buddies in NC waiting for me to pick it up at the end of this month. It's a little rough, but I think I can work with it.

Doug Rose

They say the memory the the second thing to go, I cannot remember the first  :o   How true. This phone did not have a receiver cap on it and I put this on to see if the phone worked when it arrived. I looked at the auction I posted and my memory was restored. Temporarily  :-[  Oh my!!....Doug
Kidphone