News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Light-Up Pinback Badge/Button

Started by Scotophor, August 05, 2014, 06:17:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scotophor

Something I've been looking for for years, and until today I couldn't even find any mention or photo of it on the internet, described here to the best of my ability to remember:

EDIT: See below for images!

Once, back in about the late 1970s or early 1980s, on an easel-style display just inside the entrance of my local Best Products store (remember them?) I saw several of these round light-up pinback buttons, I'm guessing about 2 1/2 to 3 inches in diameter. They were made of plastic rather than the usual stamped metal. The back was black and the front was clear, with space in between for figures sculpted of what appeared to be real glass fluorescent or "neon" tubing (miniature -- perhaps 3mm diameter). There were at least two, and possibly three or more designs available. I clearly remember a star, and a rainbow. There may also have been a palm tree, or perhaps the rainbow and palm tree were in the same item. I believe each design may have been available in different colors. The lighting of the "neon" tubing of the rainbow was done with a rarely-used special effect, which could make the glow appear to start from one end and slowly grow to fill the length of the tube. I don't know whether any of the other designs used this effect. I have no idea what battery type they ran from or whether the battery was in the button, or somehow remotely mounted. It's also possible that the driving circuit was remote from the badge itself.

Being a child at the time, I could not afford to buy any and could not convince anyone to buy one for me. Best Products soon disappeared, but a few years later, I would see one of these badges again...

At least two of the star-design badges were used as props in the pilot movie of the "Quantum Leap" TV series, entitled "Genesis" when shown as a 2-part episode in syndication. One was mounted to the top of the accelerator pedal of Al's car, and another was used as intended, worn on Al's lapel.

EDIT: changed the above two paragraphs to accurately reflect where the items were used.

A few days ago I went online searching for a forum for pinback collectors, but I found mostly dead links and a few sites for specific subsets of Pinbacks (political, Disney, etc.), but no forums and no place that seemed appropriate for posting this quest.

Does anyone else remember this product, and perhaps have something to add to or correct the description above?
Name: A.J.   Location: LAPNCAXG, EDgewood 6