and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Gray Mushroom Phone

Started by Dave F, August 31, 2010, 02:27:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave F

Re:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=3261.msg43533#msg43533

This arrived safely yesterday, packed well, double-boxed, only 2 days shipping by Priority Mail.

NIB 500P/U-61, 1959, All Dates Match.  It even came with instructions for replacing the lamp, and also a lamp transformer.  Transformer looks just like an early epoxy-filled 2012A, but is a KS16184 made for WECO by ADC.  The only thing miissing is the brass backing disk for the number designation in the center of the dial.  If anybody has a spare of that part please let me know.

I'm happy!

HarrySmith

Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Dave F

Dennis Markham

That sure is a beauty, Dave! 

You need the little three-flange retainer clip for the back side of the finger wheel?  Send me your address, I'll send you one.

Dave F

That would be great -- MANY THANKS!

I just sent my address to your message box.

Dave

Dan

Congrats! I think this is better than my blue mushroom! Now is this considered ABS plastic and not tenite? I thought the transition was around june 1959.

I would ask the seller where he got it. I am curious myself. Maybe he has a few other colors available!
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Dave F

I honestly don't know how to tell what the housing is made from.  Does the 6-hole receiver cap provide any clue?  Maybe somebody can enlighten me.

I've already made a pitch to the seller for any others that might turn up.
Maybe he can find me a clear one (yeah, right)!  Come to think of it, I wouldn't mind a blue one either.  Presently I have three: This gray one, a white, and a pink.  The coolest Mushroom set I ever saw was a Mahogany Brown, which sold a while ago on eBay for ~ $800, if my memory is right.  I'm still kicking myself for not trying harder to win it.

Dennis Markham

GENERALLY speaking, any of the colored sets made after June of '59 are hard plastic (ABS).  The transition time was June of that year.  Black sets have been known to exist in soft plastic (Tenite) I'm told into the mid-1960's.  If I were a betting man, I'd say that Light Gray mushroom phone has a hard plastic housing.  It'll be ok though.  :)

JorgeAmely

Nice and very rare too. This is the first light gray colored mushroom phone I have ever seen.

Enjoy it!

Jorge

Dan

Quote from: Dave F on August 31, 2010, 10:48:25 PM
I honestly don't know how to tell what the housing is made from.  Does the 6-hole receiver cap provide any clue?  Maybe somebody can enlighten me.

I've already made a pitch to the seller for any others that might turn up.
Maybe he can find me a clear one (yeah, right)!  Come to think of it, I wouldn't mind a blue one either.  Presently I have three: This gray one, a white, and a pink.  The coolest Mushroom set I ever saw was a Mahogany Brown, which sold a while ago on eBay for ~ $800, if my memory is right.  I'm still kicking myself for not trying harder to win it.

It's all about the smell and if you tap it (use a penny or any coin) it will make a click sound .Compare the sound to a definate soft plastic phone you have (they have a deep clunk sound). With experience, you can even use a fingernail to tap with. I agree with Dennis about the June transition.
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Dave F

Well, after sniffing, tapping, and comparing it to a known soft housing, it appears to be hard plastic -- but I think I'll keep it anyway!

Here are the instructions for changing the lamp.

stub

Dave F,
             Very nice !!!!!!!!!!!!! You know we need to see this phone with  the light on !!!!!    stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

Dan

Great directions. Notice how they don't mention to plug the transformer in after you changed the bulb. I wonder how many needless calls were made when people simply forgot to plug it in.... ::)

Phonesrfun

Maybe the assumption is that you didn't unplug the transformer to begin with.  However,  I'll bet that they could not charge enough to plug in a transformer wall wart to offset the cost of dispatching someone to do it.  They should have mentioned to check the transformer in the instructions.
-Bill G

Dave F

Quote from: stub1953 on September 01, 2010, 01:40:57 PM
Dave F,
             Very nice !!!!!!!!!!!!! You know we need to see this phone with  the light on !!!!!    stub

Stub,

I tested the lamp and the dim/bright turn key.  Everything works fine.  I should have thought about taking a picture with the light on.  I'll have to do that, then post it.

Dave