News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Flea Market AE183 - Now Listed

Started by LarryInMichigan, September 18, 2011, 10:29:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LarryInMichigan

The flea market visits have been quite disappointing lately.  This morning was a bit better.  I found a white AE 183 Space-Maker for $20.  it looks like it has spend the last 49 years in its box.  I never paid much attention to these things before, but for $20, I couldn't pass.  The only other interesting thing at the flea market this morning was a black WE 354 in fair condition for $35.  I already have two 354s, black and ivory, so I passed on it.

Larry

allineedislove

Hey Larry, greta find!!!!, do you want $25 for your AE?. Just kidding. Have a nice weekend

JorgeAmely

That is indeed a great find. And for a next to nothing price, you can't refuse it.

Are you planning to hook it up, or is it for display purposes only?
Jorge

AE_Collector

The fact that it is boring old basic white BUT like new makes it a great find! I have every color of AE 183 (including gray) on display except white. I have a white one but discolored so it is waiting for either sanding or peroxide so I can add it to the collection.

Make sure the 50 candles for its birthday next year don't discolor it.

I have a brand new in the box Ivory one.

Terry

LarryInMichigan

The handset and cord are wrapped in plastic with twist-ties, and I suspect that they have been since 1962, so I am apprehensive about unwrapping them.  Most of the smudges on the plastic housing were superficial and wiped off easily.  There is a shallow scratch, about 1/2" long in the collar piece which could probably be removed with a bit of sanding.  I do not notice any discoloration.

I had forgotten that there was also a late red North Ericofon, in fair-good condition, at the flea market this morning, but the seller wanted $65, so I passed.

Larry

LarryInMichigan

I just listed this phone: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260898801990.  I sure hope that it will do better than my last two ebay sales.

Larry

AE_Collector

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on November 20, 2011, 09:53:34 PM
I sure hope that it will do better than my last two ebay sales.
Larry

It already has if "does better than" means sells for a higher dollar value. I opened the link and without any further thought I went to put a starting bid on it but got the "please bid higher than the current bid" message. WTH I thought, looked again and someone else had bid in the few seconds since I opened the link.

Terry

LarryInMichigan

Quote from: AE_collector on November 20, 2011, 10:11:41 PM
Quote from: LarryInMichigan on November 20, 2011, 09:53:34 PM
I sure hope that it will do better than my last two ebay sales.
Larry

It already has if "does better than" means sells for a higher dollar value. I opened the link and without any further thought I went to put a starting bid on it but got the "please bid higher than the current bid" message. WTH I thought, looked again and someone else had bid in the few seconds since I opened the link.

Terry

Perhaps people are following my advice at the end of the listing ;)

My Deveau transmitter failed to sell again after two weeks of listing.

Thank you

Larry

AE_Collector

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on November 20, 2011, 10:20:18 PM
Perhaps people are following my advice at the end of the listing ;)Larry

That must be it! Either that or this statement from the listing:

Also, some newer phone systems do support rotary dialing.

Probably not quite what you intended to say.

Proof reader Terry

LarryInMichigan

I type slowly and have a habit of missing words as I type.  I meant to include the disclaimer so that the buyer wouldn't complain that the dial doesn't work.  Thank you for pointing out the mistake.

Now the listing is really messed up.  Apparently, ebay no longer allows mistakes in listings to be corrected through their clumsy user interface.

Larry

AE_Collector

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on November 20, 2011, 11:00:43 PM
I type slowly and have a habit of missing words as I type. 

Now the listing is really messed up.  Apparently, ebay no longer allows mistakes in listings to be corrected through their clumsy user interface.

Larry

Hey, your talking to the King of Typo's so need to expalin (see what I mean!)

I thought you could edit up to 24 hours before the item completed. Not any more? You must be able to add something to it.....a correction?

Terry

LarryInMichigan

I think they prevent changes after bids are submitted.  I tried to make the change but ended up duplicating the whole description.  I hope that prospective bidders are not discouraged thinking that the seller is an idiot :(

If I sell it at the current price, I will lose several dollars, so I would really like more bids.

Larry

Nilsog

I threw my hat in the ring! This will be my first AE. wellll, if I win, anyway.
Ken

AE_Collector

ebaY: 5532edward   d***r   2094 seems to be working on a collection of AE 183's lately so if he doesn't have white he will probably show up soon.

Terry

pbghmike77

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on November 20, 2011, 11:08:34 PM
I think they prevent changes after bids are submitted.  I tried to make the change but ended up duplicating the whole description.  I hope that prospective bidders are not discouraged thinking that the seller is an idiot :(

If I sell it at the current price, I will lose several dollars, so I would really like more bids.

Larry
Larry you could have a friend/member ask a question about your typo. There is an option to post it for everyone to see the question and your answer... Not that I have ever made a typo but I may have done this in the past.... GL, seems to be going well