News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Today's Flea Market Haul

Started by LarryInMichigan, October 30, 2011, 12:15:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LarryInMichigan

A friend wanted to go with me to the flea market today, so I went again.  While he was looking at antique tools, I found a few interesting things,  no Doug and Janet type bargains though.  The WE G1 mount with E1 handset and 634BC subset was still there.  The seller had it for many weeks, and he finally dropped his price to $75, so I bought it.  He also had an SC 1157 wall phone for $75.  To help promote diversity, I also bought a Telechron 8B11 clock for $35.

I briefly connected the SC wall phone and got a dial tone with alot of static.  The transmitter was not sensitive.  This phone will require some work.  On the 634BC subset is a sticker from the Telephone Pioneers of America with the words: "Your Life Member Chairman" on the top with a name "Marcella Blake" and phone numbers typed onto it.  I do not know what the meaning is.  The blue thing in the picture is a magnet which I have since removed.

Larry

Doug Rose

Larry...I love the clock....are they moving cubes? Really cool. There is a really nice North dial on your wall phone. A working E1 handset with no chips is worth at least $50 on eBay, but your looks to be seamless; even better. Are the caps seamless as well, cha ching!! All in all you did quite well. ...Doug
Kidphone

LarryInMichigan

Doug,

The numbers on the clock are painted onto metal wheels.  I did a bit of looking online today, and it looks like the clock deal was pretty good.  I plugged in the clock for a minute, and the rotor was somewhat noisy, so I hope that I can oil it.  The model is 8B11 which means that it has a B rotor.  Refurbished B motors go for $90+.  Also, the brown bakelite is is excellent condition.

The E1 is seamless and so is the receiver cap.  The mouthpiece does have a groove around it.  The bakelite is a bit rough, but it does not appear to have any cracks or chips.

BTW, the friend who went with me thinks that I am crazy.  He made me drive past a house in his neighborhood which is supposedly packed full of antiques and stuff and has junk on the porch and all along the side of the house.  He is warning me that, if I don't stop buying things, I will end up like his neighbor.

Larry

JorgeAmely

Larry, how is the expansion of your home coming along?  ;) ;) ;D ;D
Jorge