News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

The honeymoon haul!

Started by Nilsog, November 18, 2011, 11:45:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nilsog

Here are the goodies I picked up this week. Pennsylvania has been good to me I think!

Early western electric candlestick, stamped American Bell Telephone Company -$100
G1 with a 4H dial- Free with above purchase after some haggling.
Metal 302 H1 all dates 1938- $10
D1 mount- $40
Emerson Northwind desk fan- $85

I picked up some other small items as well, a NY Telephone co. pen and a couple shaving items. Also bought a nice mantle clock for my wife with the 3 different chimes. I had a lead on a turquoise 500 but the lady gave me terrible directions and I couldn't find the place.

I'm happy with the loot I'm bringing home, think I'm going to use one of my other 302s for a subset and put the D1 on my desk. I need to send the 4H out for service, but when I get it back Im thinking I'll put it in the D1.

Wasn't there someone selling cases for 302 bases to make then into subsets?
Ken

LarryInMichigan

It looks like you really did well!  Everything looks to be in great condition.  The G1s typically go for a decent amount on ebay.

The fan looks really nice.  I would strongly suggest dismantling it and cleaning and oiling and greasing it.  Any oil wicks should be replaced.  Any questionable wiring should be replaced.  The old oil congeals and causes friction which can lead to the coils burning up.  There is a good collectors forum (not as good as this one though) at: http://afcaforum.com/.

Larry

teka-bb

=============================================
Regards,

Remco, JKL Museum of Telephony Curator

JKL Museum of Telephony: http://jklmuseum.com/
TCI Library: http://www.telephonecollectors.info/

Nilsog

Awesome! Thanks for the link!
Ken

Nilsog

Here are some more pictures for anyone interested.

The 302 with all 1938 dates. My first phone with parts from the same year.

1) The elements from the handset and the covers- (The inside of the handset was also dated 38, but I couldn't get a picture of it because of the wire being in the way)

2) The network-

3) The base-

4) The bottom... I have two other 302s and a 5302 and none of them have the four holes in the bottom. What is their purpose?

The only thing I can't find a date on is the ringer. Should I assume it was replaced and ruin my dream of an all original phone?

5-8) This is the 4H dial that came on the G1 mount. If I've learned anything right, it looks to be a converted No. 2. I'm basing this on the filled in holes on the side and the paint and modifications on the back. Believe I read that on Paul-f's site.

9) Oh, and following up on the turquoise 500... I ended up finding it after all. The lady's directions were fine, my GPS was wrong. Shame on me! It has the fingerwheel, but it was removed for cleaning. Very clean and no noticeable fade. Not bad for $20 I guess.

Ken

GG

Good goin', dude, major score there.  I'm going to guess that the '38 302 is the rarest of the lot.  All of that stuff looks to be in really good condition.

Nilsog

I figured the I was getting a deal for $10, it being metal and all. Now I'm super happy. Just wish it came with a dial.
Ken