News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Racal PTC-404 Field telephone pair...

Started by twocvbloke, January 14, 2012, 04:23:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twocvbloke

Got these yesterday (can't get pictures at the moment, haven't a clue where I put my camera!!!), ex-military hardware of course, came with carrying cases and a set of MOD instructions marked "Restricted" too (probably not restricted info anymore though as they're dated November 1979), paid £8 for the two so a bargain... ;D

Not entirely plug & Play devices, requiring a pair of wires between them, as with any phone, wired to the two screw terminals, but they're pretty neat, but one of them has a fault with transmitting & ringing out to the other set (or one of my linesman phones), they have a range of 10 miles which is impressive for 6v devices... :o

They take 4x D-cells, and both had a set each of military-grade Duracells (green with red tops), but were dead as the dodo, and a couple had leaked in the working phone, but the thing's made form thick and heavy metal that the leakage hasn't been a problem... :D

Anyway, need to tear the faulty one open and see what's up, then I'll have a look for the ol' camera and get some snaps... :)

For now, here's a pic of a similar one I found on the web:

twocvbloke

Managed to fix the non-ringing & non-transmitting phone, turned out it was just the battery cover that wasn't making contact with my "civvy" batteries, which is strange cos I'm using identical batteries in the other one and that has an identical battery cover, and that worked right off the bat... ???

Anyway, camera's still AWOL, not sure where I put it, funny how things just disappear on their own... :-\