News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Opinion on eBay Bidding

Started by Doug Rose, August 14, 2016, 07:35:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

If you see a phone you like on eBay, bid on it. Bid the amount you feel it is worth....or you are prepared to pay. Be prepared to be out bid, its the nature of the beast. Just because you bid on it first, doesn't mean you saw it first. Not every member knows all the other members eBay bidding codes....or cares to know. I know a few of the high rollers, like the Museum etc.  Others...sorry I don't. I can't remember what I had for dinner last night...I digress  8)...Ah yes...It was steak and swordfish on the grille made by my brother in law. Outstanding!

If I outbid you, I am sorry......in my opinion you did not bid enough. Conversely I was outbid. I did not bid enough, that's how it works. Life in the fast lane, on to the next auction. I will live to bid another day. Best thing about eBay is there is another phone right around the corner.

All is fair in Love and eBay. ...Doug
Kidphone

Pourme

Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

JimHyak

Quote from: Doug Rose on August 14, 2016, 07:35:32 AM
All is fair in Love and eBay. ...Doug

Well, almost. All is fair when it comes to bidding on eBay. Listing is another matter (and another topic)

I am a sniper. I admit it. I snipe manually, the old fashioned way, no sniping programs for me. I love the thrill of pushing the button at the last possible second. I know what that is for every device I have and every connection. If there is a phone I think I really really want, I will bid too high. Did you loose to me? Sorry, I wanted it more. Did I lose to you? You probably paid too much, in my opinion. Maybe way too much and I can be happy I didn't win. Sometimes I think I should have bid a bit more, oh well.

eBay is not a traditional auction. There are no calls for higher bids. There are snipers. It is different. It also is national or even international. It allows me to find and purchase things I would never find otherwise. It allows a seller in an area where the item is quite common to sell to someone who has never seen one at a garage sale and otherwise never would. It can raise prices and infuriate collectors, just as it can help a collector sell at a really good price.

Overall I think eBay has expanded the world for collectors and brought more people into collecting. I'm stepping off the soapbox now, the geezers among you know how that phrase came into being. ;D Jim
Jim
It's not hoarding if you have cool stuff!

Dan/Panther

At one point in time, we had an agreement NOT to post auctions we see, because MAYBE someone else is flying under the radar.
I would like to see that started up again.
Another Pet Peeve is Mr. Helpful, don't contact sellers and point out errors in the listing.  For example, ":You do know that phone is worth much more than you are asking".
It's up to the seller to do His/Her homework. That is how WE as collectors get deals.
JMHO.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Fabius

Quote from: JimHyak on August 14, 2016, 09:52:21 AM

I snipe manually, the old fashioned way, no sniping programs for me. I love the thrill of pushing the button at the last possible second.

My name is Tom and I'm also a sniper. I use to do it manually but I now use a snipe program (myibidder). I want the item and I use the most efficient tool to get it.

I like the fact that I set the amount I want to bid and walk away. The rush I use to get pushing the button at the last second is now replaced by the rush when I click on the auction link and see I won.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

twocvbloke

I'm a sniper too, usually using the myibidder site to do my bidding, but my excuse is my sleep disorder, I'm not always awake when an auction comes to an end, so manual-sniping doesn't work (that and I'm forgetful and have lost a lot of auctions because I simply forgot about them!!), it's nothing like a real auction where snipe-bidding doesn't happen, as if you bid before the hammer falls, the auctioneer will keep accepting bids 'til everyone gives up...

Doesn't always work though, for example, items that I've tried buying in the past have had zero bids 'til the last half an hour, people just rush in and bump it up way past what I thought I could have gotten it for (and often they win it for more than they could have paid elsewhere, which I often did!!), and of course I base my bids on what I can afford, which on occasion is about right for the item, but, I still get outbid...  :-\

Pourme

I know on at least one occasion, not a telephone but antique signage, I as the highest bidder, I set my highest bid WAY higher than what I thought a sniper might bid. It worked and I won the bid, even after last second snipers, at about $50 less than my highest set bid...
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

RotarDad

Bidding high can work, but personally I don't like snipers or any "last-few-minutes" bidders nibbling away at my max bid.  I feel a bit naked doing that.  I'd rather not display my intentions and then bid high at the very end if possible......
Paul

RotarDad

Regarding Dan/Panther's concern, I do agree that in many cases, we probably help the seller get a higher price by "advertising" the auction on this forum.  This also prevents a buyer from getting a better deal on an item that otherwise might go less noticed.  In the "early days" of the forum, there was an informal guideline to not "out" an Ebay item unless there were already many bidders/watchers, or the start price was obviously high.  Perhaps this would be a good item to discuss again.....
Paul

twocvbloke

I always keep quiet about what I plan on bidding on...

HarrySmith

I agree with just about everything that has been stated so far. I am a manual sniper, I like the rush that way. As far as "outing" phones that is been discussed many many times. I agree we should not publicize phones that may go under the radar. I also do not like Mr. Helpful. The seller is offering the item at a price he thinks is fair for it so if he gets that price he will be happy and so will the buyer. If it is way below the "actual" value, great for the buyer. As a seller I research every item I sell to determine my starting price and for useful information about the item. If a seller lists an old black phone for $9.99 that is the value to him, even if it is a 1949 500! If that old black phone gets posted here or on Facebook or on the lists or anywhere, it will not sell for $9.99 and most collectors will miss an opportunity to add it to their collection as the deep pocket buyers will put it out of reach. Now my turn to step down off the soap box.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

WEBellSystemChristian

I used to be a manual sniper, but finding that sweet spot between a short enough gap where ebay doesn't register the bid and a long enough gap where someone else can get another manual bid in was took risky. I let snipe programs do the work for me.

I keep a rule of thumb for auctions that I want to publicly mention, I only post it if it has 2 or more bids and has numerous watchers. I constantly send PMs to members about auctions if that member may be interested in bidding.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Doug Rose

I have never used a service to snipe and I doubt I ever will, but never say never....Doug
Kidphone

Jack Ryan

Quote from: Doug Rose on August 14, 2016, 07:04:20 PM
I have never used a service to snipe and I doubt I ever will, but never say never....Doug

I assume you only buy stuff from your own time zone.

Jack

Dennis Markham

I've been using a sniper program for a while now.  I find it to be very convenient.  I can put in the amount I'm willing to spend and go about my business.  I win it or I don't.  I don't always have the time to sit in front of the computer waiting for the auction to end.  As Jack referred to time zone, the auctions end at all hours.  I don't see the sniper program as being a negative.  But that's just my opinion.