"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

First Princess .

Started by electric al, April 19, 2015, 08:54:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

electric al

I just got this 701B  date 1 61.

Very heavy . I opened it up to clean it , and realized it has a weight in it , and no ringer assembly .

Works great , except that I can't seem to get the dial wheel off to clean the numbers .

I am afraid to force it , in case I break it .

I think I will just clean it up with a QTip .

It is actually very clean .

I think the previous owner sold it because it wouldn't ring!  :)
Never met a phone I didn't like !

unbeldi

None of the 701B telephones had a ringer. Today this is a feature, not a deficiency.
They didn't make ringers small enough yet to fit inside, but they corrected that by release time of the 702B in January 1963, it came with one.

Initially the 701B simply had emptiness in that spot, except for the terminal plate. The weight was a retrofit feature, not available until Spring 1962, to keep the Princess from sliding off the night stand.

However, Western made a small wall mounted external ringer, the E1A, for the 701B.

Dan F

There should be a small hole between the 9 and 0 finger holes. Dial a 0 and hold it to the stop, take a paper clip and insert in the small hole and press carefully to release the spring clip, continue turnng the dial past and the finger wheel should pop off easily. to reattach the dial line it up and turn it counter clockwise until it clicks in.

electric al

Quote from: Dan F on April 19, 2015, 11:13:54 PM
There should be a small hole between the 9 and 0 finger holes. Dial a 0 and hold it to the stop, take a paper clip and insert in the small hole and press carefully to release the spring clip, continue turnng the dial past and the finger wheel should pop off easily. to reattach the dial line it up and turn it counter clockwise until it clicks in.

I have done this many times with other phones , and no problem.

This phone......No way !

It will not come off , and I am scared to break it !

I will try again , when I feel braver !  :)

LM Ericsson

Sometimes you have to be a little more tough on it. When the fingerwheel does not like to come off, it is usually the metal tab that holds the fingerwheel in place that is bent up. Instead of using a paperclip, use a pushpin. They are sturdier.
Regards,
-Grayson

electric al

Quote from: LM Ericsson on April 20, 2015, 06:08:41 PM
Sometimes you have to be a little more tough on it. When the fingerwheel does not like to come off, it is usually the metal tab that holds the fingerwheel in place that is bent up. Instead of using a paperclip, use a pushpin. They are sturdier.

I tried again, and still can't remove the finger wheel !

I think I have broken something , because now the finger wheel does not always return to its original position .

It stops halfway between 9 and 0 .

I viewed the tutorials , and they all say that it is almost impossible to break anything when forcing it   ....   well  .... I think I proved them wrong !

Contempra

Quote from: electric al on April 19, 2015, 11:30:17 PM
I have done this many times with other phones , and no problem.

This phone......No way !

It will not come off , and I am scared to break it !

I will try again , when I feel braver !  :)

Probably very tight.. My new on in another topic was so tight that i use more force but slowly it comes off...

WEBellSystemChristian

I sometimes have a fingerwheel or two that won't come off. Just try a different sized paperclip.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford