News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Finished! 5302 Mushroom!

Started by HarrySmith, June 04, 2011, 04:53:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HarrySmith

Finally my project 5302 Mushroom is done! More work and trouble than I expected it to be! Pictures below show the extra contacts I added to the hookswitch to operate the light. I used the contact board on the phone for the lamp wiring, took the ringer wire and capacitor wire off, squeezed the prongs of the connectors together rather than cutting them off, soldered and shrinkwrapped so I could have both posts. Mounted an LED lamp by drilling a small hole through the case under the number ring. Used an original WE switch mounted in a bracket held by the case screw, tricky to get case srew in right! I tested several hundred times along the way while wiring and fabricating. The last thing was attaching and mounting the LED. I had it attached with jumpers for setup, I soldered on the wires and shrinkwrapped the connections then mounted it in the phone, closed it up and plugged it in, NO LIGHT! I spent some time checking all my connections and everything was good, finally I took out the spare LED, they came 2 in a pack, and touched it to the wires on the back of the non working LED and it lit! Apparently the LED could not handle the heat of soldering and shrinkwrapping so I fabricated a plug for the second one! I finally got to use my crimp tool on the connector it was designed for! The pins I used are D-sub connectors. The final issue came with the mushroom cap, I had not taken into account the dial on the 5032 being raised so the light only hit the side, not the dial. I cut a small pice of fuel line hose and used that for an extension. Works well. I will post some pics later of the light working once it gets dark.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Doug Rose

Very cool Harry...I really like it...Doug
Kidphone