News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Fire Sale - Antique Store 302 - Parts Only

Started by Dennis Markham, March 08, 2009, 03:15:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dennis Markham

From an antique "mall" in Bay City, Michigan comes this model 302.  In a display case for $15.  The proprietor said a 10% reduction would apply but accepted a generous offer of $10.

It looks like the case was someplace warm as evidenced by the warped appearance.  But it must have been there when the fire was put out because it also looks to have been covered in water.  It looks like someone pried the case off the base.  It's hard to believe but the case has no cracks.  But I figured $10 for the handset and dial was worth the price.  Internally the ringer, switch, induction coil and condenser MAY be salvageable too.  The 5H dial is in rough shape but I should be able to turn it into a nice working dial.  The porcelain dial plate is a prime candidate for a vinyl overlay.

Someone tinkered with it because the put the finger wheel back on upside down, along with the dial card.  There were two of those.  The top one is melted but the one below it wasn't bad.  These are an acetate card rather than paper.  The finger wheel is brass but needs a new paint job.  It will go on the long nail on the wall where a dozen other currently hang---all needing paint.  Most internal parts are from 1950 but the cords are from 1952.  Nothing salvageable with the cords.  It's funny how many of these 302's I have stumbled on where the screw that holds the condenser bracket closed is removed.  I think in an effort to remove the cover that is the first screw that comes out.  Internally the bracket opens but the bottom doesn't come off.  No one ever replaces that screw.

The feet will go to Dennis Hallworth for recovering.  Since no shipping was needed $10 is a fair price for the parts.

BDM

--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

HobieSport

Wow Dennis that has got to be one of the roughest 302s I have ever seen, having been through fire and water.  It will be really interesting to  hear about what parts you can salvage. :o

bingster

I won't settle for anything less than another "Markham Miracle!" 

Your cord comment reminds me of something I've been meaning to post in Classifieds.
= DARRIN =

Dennis Markham

Well the case is shot but I think I can make a decent dial out of that one---and the ringer too.  I'll post the results eventually.  The #5 dials have been going for $25-35 on eBay lately.  It's always nice to have a spare dial around.

Dan/Panther

Geez Dennis;
I thought I was king of the junk phones.
That honor goes to you, hands down. That has got to be the sorriest 302 ever..
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Dennis Markham

Dan, I have a home for wayward telephones.

Dan/Panther

Wayward, Wayward,
That's worse than a red headed stepchild...

D/P
I'll give you a buck for it, and you can keep the phone, just send me the cord.

Dennis Markham

The cord?  You can HAVE both of them.  Send me a PM with your address and they'll be on the way.  You can keep the buck.

AET

Is it sad that I'd be thrilled to have that phone since I don't even have an example of a 302.  Mind you I haven't been looking very hard LOL.
- Tom

McHeath

You win the prize for saddest sack phone ever! 

Does it work?

Dan/Panther

Dan

"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

bingster

I say it works, too.  Fire that puppy up!  Oops... too late.
= DARRIN =

benhutcherson