News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Fire Sale - Antique Store 302 - Parts Only

Started by Dennis Markham, March 08, 2009, 03:15:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dennis Markham

I have torn it apart.  It's unlikely I'll put it back together.  I believe you're all right though...I'm sure with new cords it would work as found.

Sargeguy

Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

mienaichizu

Dennis Markham

Ramil, it could be made to work but it is very rough.  The plungers were stuck in the down position.  I had to tap them out BUT with that said, if one were to be persistent and with new cords I'm sure mechanically the phone would work.  But the case is bent and melted.  Maybe it can be filled with concrete and used for a door stop! :)

Dan/Panther

Dennis;
It's a perfect case to experiment with.
Put a base on it and subject it to boling water, or oven heat and see if it can be straightened.
I have straigtend very badly warped Tenite dials on Philco Mystery Controls before by clamping them between two pieces if stainless steel, and boiling them, and letting them cool.
Or if you run across another missing ear, you have a donor, or a badly cracked or missing piece of a corner.
If I ever aquire a phone like that, I think I would use it to make a subset.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Dennis Markham

Dan, I'll have to try that boiling water trick.  Of course I can never throw anything away.  I have them piled up like cord wood (old cases, broken, cracked, etc).  If I could get my hands on a couple more of Ray Kotke's plastic reproduction covers I'd make another subset.  I have two now and they really work great with the 302 bases.

Dan/Panther

Dennis;
I've been dying to build a 302 subset, but of the 6 302's I have I can't bring myself to part one out. One like you got is perfect for that. You can strip it and repaint it and make it look like new.
Has Ray said he would eventually make more ?
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Dennis Markham

When I spoke with Ray last April at the Mason, MI phone show he said he would be making some more in about 6 weeks.  He told me to contact him then.  I waited a while longer than that and e-mailed him and still he had not made more.  So I didn't bother him again.  I will be contacting him again before the April show (Its the weekend of the 5th) and ask him to bring what he has along---if he has any.

The thing that makes them nice in addition to the size of them are the leather feet.  You can set them on the table top.  The phone can sit atop the box and it looks nice.  I have two sitting on my desk, one black and one ivory.  I plug them in every now and then and use them.

I'll check with him in fact tomorrow and see if he has any or what the plan is for them.  I know several people have expressed an interest.  Perhaps if he has some commitment for enough it would be worth his while to whip up a batch of the plastic it takes to make them.  From what I'm told it's a big job.  He was only charging $20 apiece for them which isn't a bad price really.

I was able to pick up a few bases from an ATCA club member that was selling 302 parts.  The bases were complete with induction coil, capacitor and ringer.  I sent  the feet out to be recovered so it made a nice package.

I wouldn't part one out either but just watch for some parts.  If I run into some I'll snatch one for you.

Dennis Markham

I received a reply from Ray Kotke regarding the 302 subset covers.  I had asked him if he were going to make more or if he planned to bring any to the show in Mason in early April.  I indicated to him that I thought there was some interest in them and could take some orders if he would like.  He sent this reply today:

I will have as many 302 subset covers at the show as I can muster!  ;-)

So I guess that means he will bring as many as he can muster.  It could be one, could be none or could be more.

If anyone has a desire to have one, send me a PM and I'll take orders.  I'll get as many as possible based upon the requests that I get.  Last year they were $20 each.  It's anybody's guess what they may sell for this year.  Not sure which colors will be available---if any.

AET

Just noticed on Leave it to Beaver today that they have a 302 in Beaver and Wally's room.  (Can you beleive a phone in their room in the 50's) I wasn't around then, but  I know when my dad was a kid, they were charged by the line.  And the living room phone was a white or beige 500.
- Tom

BDM

Quote from: AtomicEraTom on March 11, 2009, 11:54:22 PM
Just noticed on Leave it to Beaver today that they have a 302 in Beaver and Wally's room.  (Can you beleive a phone in their room in the 50's) I wasn't around then, but  I know when my dad was a kid, they were charged by the line.  And the living room phone was a white or beige 500.

Yup, they charged by extension. God knows, if you broke Ma Bell's cardinal rule, and you got caught with an "extra" extension. They bitc......Well you know.
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

AET

Ha, it happened to my grandpa.  He wanted a living room and kitchen line, but didn't wanna pay the extra.  He had a friend with the phone company or something (don't quite remember the story perfectly) but he knew how to rig it up for my grandpa.  Well, somehow the phone company found out.  And they let my grandpa know.  He told them he would take it out right away, but the phone company insisted on coming and removing it professionally and then of course charging him for that.
- Tom

BDM

They could tell be the current draw with the extra ringer. I got caught, and they bitc.....................................
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

AET

Oh, that's how they could tell, I always wondered.  My dad has lots of great phone stories, but I can't remember any rite now.  I got one!  My grandma loved to talk on the phone when my dad was a kid. She'd talk from 8 in the morning till suppertime at 4 or 5 or so.  And then finally my grandpa got sick of the bill, so he put a lock on the rotary dial, so she couldn't dial out any calls!  I dont' know what he did about received calls, gotta ask dad haha.
- Tom