News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

first 5302 from ETSY

Started by cchaven, March 09, 2013, 11:27:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cchaven

a few days ago I spotted a 5302 on ETSY for $35...it needed to be cleaned up a little but I decided to take a chance on it.  What I got was a 5302 with all electronics dating from 1948 and the bakelite GF handset with the inserts to use the F-1's transmitter and receiver elements.  It's in nice shape, other than a few scuffs...and so far I've done nothing but wipe it down.  I've not tried to polish it or anything so far.  The dial card interstingsly enough is from southwest Missouri, in the Ozark mountains, where I happened to spend a lot of time when I was a kid. I'm pretty happy with the purchase as it's my only 5302.

Jeff

unbeldi

If you take the housing off, there should be a stamp on the inside front edge of the housing that tells the date of the housing, which is probably close to the date of creation of your 5302.

The contact insert for the transmitter is pretty much the same same as for a regular G1 handset. I think the spacing of the contacts may be a touch larger. The difference for the transmitter is mostly in the cap and cap threading which has a little larger diameter on the outside, has thinner thread 'walls', and therefore has a larger diameter inside to accommodate the F1. Still, the F1 is probably hard to get out of the cap.

I think the 5302s actually have a more stylish shape than the 500s in the rear.

cchaven

Ah, I missed the date stamp on the front inside edge at first...it had a layer of grime over the top and I haven't cleaned the inside of the phone yet.  It's labeled "2 9 63", stamped twice..on both sides of the case screw.  THis 5302 also isn't marked with the usual "Bell System" anywhere, nor does it have a model number stamped anywhere.  It also lacks the ringer adjuster.

And you're right, the F-1 transmitter element is stuck in the cap tight.  I had to use a silicon gripper to get the caps off at all.

Jeff