News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Sometimes you bite the bear....

Started by Tom B, December 26, 2010, 07:46:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom B

WOW - just scored a med blue WE 500 5 /56 for $45 off the Bay - happy times - pictures to follow
Tom

Adam

Saw that.  Listing said it was green.  I know it looks blue in the photo, but I also bought one (a modern dark blue AT&T 500 for cheap so it was no loss) that really looked blue in the photos but listing said it was green and when it arrived it was green.  Bad lighting can cause this in digital photos.

I am thinking GOOD THOUGHTS for you and hoping that the phone really is blue!
Adam Forrest
Los Angeles Telephone - A proud part of the global C*Net System
C*Net 1-383-4820

baldopeacock

Color confusion sure happens a lot.   My light gray 3/59 500 was listed as blue on eBay.   My Oxford Gray 12/55 500 was tagged as Moss Green on the shelf at the store where I found it.   For the life of me I can't see how either seller saw blue OR green on either of those phones.   

Adam

'Course it happens most that way, and so I took the chance to buy the green 500 that looked blue in the picture.  I lost on that one.

But even if it's green, it's still a really early colored 500 with a heavy grey coiled handset cord.  Still worth the BIN price!
Adam Forrest
C*Net 1-383-4820

Dennis Markham

Tom, any chance of getting the item number for that phone?  I'd love to take a look and see what you bought.

Adam

Fresh from my browser history, as I was just there:

http://tinyurl.com/292lcva ( dead link 12-07-21 )
Adam Forrest
C*Net 1-383-4820

Dennis Markham

Thanks Dave, I was able to find it too.  Here's a photo for future reference.  From the eBay listing.

Looks like the real deal.  From 1956, gray cords.  It's going to need a little work but well worth $45, plus shipping.  Looks like there may be an original dial card lurking under there too.

Tom B

Seriously I never thought I would come across one of these.. I guess that's why we keep looking, day in and out. When it arrives I'll post before and after photos.

Time for a Curly moment - Nyuk, nyuk, nyuk... ;D
Tom

Dan

Looks like my avatar--great score!!!!! Merry Christmas a day late!
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

LarryInMichigan

I don't know how I missed that one.  That is my favorite color, and the phone is only about 75 miles from here in Michigan.  I think that it is only fair that I should get it ;)

Larry

Tom B

Dan - Thanks for the Christmas wishes - got home from a family party and thought I'd just take a peek on the Bay.....

Larry - next time I spot one you'll be the first I send a PM to :)
Tom

Dennis Markham

Thanks for the good laugh on that one Larry!  Nice try.  I had never heard of Lambertville.  It's a stone-throw from Toledo, Ohio.

Sargeguy

I gotta spend less time in the pre-1940 section
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

McHeath

Fabulous find!  How come I never find these bargains??? :'(

Enjoy.

JorgeAmely

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on December 27, 2010, 11:23:41 AM
I don't know how I missed that one.  That is my favorite color, and the phone is only about 75 miles from here in Michigan.  I think that it is only fair that I should get it ;)

Larry

Larry, Larry , Larry:

There was a red AE40 phone 45 miles from home here in CA. I don't know how I missed it. That is my favorite color. I thought it was only fair that I should get it .... but missed it.   ;) ;) ;)

I know the feeling.  >:( >:( >:(
Jorge