News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Dust seal on rotary princess

Started by princessphone, June 10, 2014, 11:18:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

princessphone

A while back bought a rotary princess and it had an o-ring seal between the plastic shell of phone and the opaque dial ring of the ringer assembly. It is white/beige 3 3/16" dia and about 2 mm thick. It appears to fit nice and brings the shell flush with the opaque plastic ring. It fits nicely on the shoulder of this ring.
I've taken apart a few dozen of these princesses (that's what I like to do) and never seen these before.
Was this factory installed? Should they all have it? Do other WE phones have them?
It kinda makes sense to have a seal there to keep dust moisture etc out.
Just curious. John DeJonge
PS I lost track on date of phone.

poplar1

Most of the older 500s and 554s have them.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

WesternElectricBen

I always thought the seals were originally used as a gasket, so the dial plastic didn't move while dialing.

Ben

poplar1

The number plates on 7-type dials are screwed down, so they can't move anyway.
The locking ring on 9C dials often gets loose, making the number plate where it is no longer fixed.
The 9CA dial corrected that problem by eliminating the locking ring; instead, the entire number plate rotates to lock in place before the finger stop can be installed.

I believe the purpose of the flexible ring is to keep dust out.

poplar1

It's called a gasket.

2.02   When housing is replaced, the gasket must be in place
             on outer rim of dial, cords properly anchored and in
place, and housing aligned with base of set before tightening
the two captive mounting screws.

BSP Section C32.539, Issue 3, May, 1955.

princessphone

Thanks Ben and Poplar1. This all makes sense. I also noticed that when the gasket is in proper place the shell housing fits very nicely on center over the dialer.
How come so many gaskets are missing or rather why did WE stop using them?
More important were can I purchase some? What's the proper name for them?
John DeJonge

WesternElectricBen

Of course, maybe you could fine them on the old phone works website. Although, they are not nessissary.

Ben

AE40FAN

I've only seen these dial gaskets on earlier princess phones.  I have a '59 with one of these.  The dial is slightly different and was more likely modified in the early 60's making the gaskets unnecessary.

princessphone

To Ae40fan. Thanks for clearing this up.
Wish I had kept track of date on that princess.
I do recall that I could not interchange some parts on an early princess dialer. I even started a post about different dialers for princesses.
Thanks, John DeJonge.

maarm

Quote from: poplar1 on June 10, 2014, 11:31:48 PM
The locking ring on 9C dials often gets loose, making the number plate where it is no longer fixed.
The 9CA dial corrected that problem by eliminating the locking ring; instead, the entire number plate rotates to lock in place before the finger stop can be installed.

How do you fix a 9C dial that has come loose? I have one that is loose. It looks like the plastic posts that held it are broken.
Thanks
Mike

poplar1

Usually, all you have to do is to turn the locking ring (la bague d'arrêt) so that the 3 tabs on the ring slide into the slots on the dial. This prevents the number plate from moving.

Are you saying that the plastic tabs that protrude into the "donut hole" of the number plate are broken? The locking ring sits on top of these tabs.

Quote from: maarm on June 11, 2014, 08:43:13 PM
Quote from: poplar1 on June 10, 2014, 11:31:48 PM

How do you fix a 9C dial that has come loose? I have one that is loose. It looks like the plastic posts that held it are broken.
Thanks

maarm

Quote from: poplar1 on June 12, 2014, 05:29:37 PM
Usually, all you have to do is to turn the locking ring (la bague d'arrêt) so that the 3 tabs on the ring slide into the slots on the dial. This prevents the number plate from moving.

Are you saying that the plastic tabs that protrude into the "donut hole" of the number plate are broken? The locking ring sits on top of these tabs.

Yes, the if I'm looking at the right plastic tabs, they are broken. Attached is a picture of the backside of the number plate. The tabs I'm talking about are in the protrusions on each side of the center opening.
Mike

poplar1

On the back side of those two tabs, there are supposed to be round posts. They appear to be sheared off on your number plate. To be honest, I had never noticed these before, but they do keep the number plate from rotating.

What color is your number plate?

maarm

It is supposed to be white. Currently it is more of a dingy yellow until I can get it cleaned.
Mike