News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

AE 1A Green/Gold Brimfield find

Started by Doug Rose, September 06, 2017, 05:47:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

This was extremely dry. All I did was spray some Anon SSS on it and let it sit overnight. I have not opened it. Appears to be a green/gold mix, I will  open int up the weekend. Handset is cracked in half. Pics are with a flash, looks much better in natural light. Last two pics have no flash...Doug
Kidphone

stub

Doug Rose,
                Great find !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

HarrySmith

Very interesting phone. Jan strikes again!... I mean "The Phone Lady" strikes again! I do not recall ever having seen that color before. Is it bakelite?
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Doug Rose

Harry..my guess is tenite. I'll let Terry chime in. I'll know more this weekend when I open it up....Doug
Kidphone

Doug Rose

Quote from: stub on September 06, 2017, 05:56:19 PM
Doug Rose,
                Great find !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! stub
thanks Stub..Doug
Kidphone

stub

Doug Rose,
                 Do you think it might be one of Ray Kotke's  ( kleenax ) creations ?  He might be able to tell you if it was one of his or not.  stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

Jim Stettler

I think it is find of the month.
JMO,
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Doug Rose

Ken....I don't think it is one of Ray's, I think it is the real deal.

Jim S....thanks....I sure was surprised....Doug
Kidphone

AE_Collector

Wow. Looks like the real deal but I am not certain what. Something experimental? Is it coloured on the inside of clear plastic?

Terry

oldguy

Beautiful phone Doug. You never said whether it was a Doug or Jan find. I agree with Jim, find of the month material.
Gary

19and41

Is the gold pigmentation blended into the plastic like Venetian art glass?  In your first photos, I thought it was oxidized bakelite.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

Doug Rose

I think it is just the way it has aged as AE colors really change (think orchid) my guess is when I open it, it will be a Nile green, but like Terry said looks colored inside of clear, but that could be the Avon SSS. Really kind of different.....Thanks

Gary....This was a Jan find from Brimfield on Tuesday.  ....Doug
Kidphone

AE_Collector

I suspect you are likely correct Doug....a green, likely Nile Green that has technically "aged poorly" but looks quite interesting all the same.

Terry

19and41

I guess instead of glass as an example, more folks could've related to the flourish of a glass of Guinness.   :D
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

Doug Rose

Looks a little better in the light of day! It is a mottled gold color, check out the inside picture. Cloth cords are in really nice shape. I hooked it up to DT and it worked!!! Conversation is loud and clear....not static. Dialed out with ease.

I had a few members ask about it but nothing further so it will be on eBay tomorrow.....Doug
Kidphone