News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Princiess Phone Rotary Dial Returns way to fast...

Started by John S, April 28, 2013, 11:39:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John S

Morning!,

I have princess phone that I am currently working on.  One thing that I noticed is the dial returns way to fast.  I took it apart and everything seem to be intact, but I am not a expert on princess phones.  Can someone pin point me in the right direction on how to fix that problem?  I've been looking on here but can't see to find any info.  Thanks!!

John

ESalter

If it's returning too fast I'd guess either the spring is wound too tight or the governor isn't functioning properly.

twocvbloke

I'd go with the governor too, being either badly adjusted, missing it's spring, or has been contaminated with oil... :)

poplar1

Is the dial marked 8A? If not, there's a remote possibility that someone used a 20 pps dial and added the transparent number plate from an 8A.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

John S

I will look at it again.....maybe post pictures....its a pink princess.....I will post pictures...

John

John S

Morning...

Here are pictures of the princess dial.  After taking it off...the face plate is lose and the ring around it.  I think that easy to snap back in place.  Again the dial turns way to fast.  Here are the pictures...

John

jsowers

John,

I've had this same problem twice and what fixed it both times was lubricating the white plastic (or nylon) piece that pulses the contacts for the green and blue wires. It swivels back when you pull a number on the dial and then rotates back into place to pulse the number when you let go of the dial. There may be some kind of governor inside it that requires oil because after I shot a lot of machine oil (and not WD-40) to it, and a couple of times, and only after it had a chance to soak in, then it worked and the dial was normal speed. It didn't work immediately both times. I had to wait after I oiled and come back to it. It has to work its way in.

Be careful oiling other places on the dial. Just oil that one spot, to the top right if you look in the first picture. You might as well take the number ring off the other side so you don't have to clean the oil off it. Keep working that piece and applying oil and it will eventually start working. It could take a couple days.

Sorry I don't have the name for that piece--maybe it's called a pawl? If someone has a quicker and easier suggestion, please tell us. I don't think these dials come apart.
Jonathan

John S

jsowers ,

Thanks for the tip! I did use the machine oil.  I am letting it soak in. I will give it a few days and report back.  You said you has the same issue twice?  Was that on both princess phones? I never seen this before.  I will let you know what happens..

John

jsowers

Quote from: John S on May 01, 2013, 10:14:54 AM
jsowers ,

Thanks for the tip! I did use the machine oil.  I am letting it soak in. I will give it a few days and report back.  You said you has the same issue twice?  Was that on both princess phones? I never seen this before.  I will let you know what happens..

John

John,

It was on two different phones. I think they were both 701s. It seems to have fixed it for a while. I had the pink one in my office on display and it still rotated OK the last time I tried it. I don't remember the details about the other one--sorry. It may have been a blue 702. They were both several years ago. Report back and let us know what happens.
Jonathan