"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

ITT Trimline - no dial tone just a high piercing whistle

Started by recyklotron, May 07, 2013, 07:16:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

recyklotron

Greetings,
Recently received a pair of orange ITT Trimline(?) phones - a rotary & a pushbutton. Different issues so separate posts. The cases are so clean I was hoping to simply plug them in...
The pushbutton has no dial tone & emits a high pitched piercing whistle sound. I really haven't got a clue as to where to start although I did test for continuity on the circuit board & there are no breaks that I can see in the top layer. I have not yet attempted to take either one apart. I found a post from Bill from January 2012  http://tinyurl.com/bqv2mhz  and while I am eager to learn I'm not quite sure my burgeoning skills are up to a complete breakdown of this phone.

If I decide to forgo dismantling can I just find another similar phone & change out the works? Do the line & handset cords unplug?

Thanks as always,
         Jonathan/Boston

paul-f

1.  ITT called them Trendlines.

2.  Do both phones produce the same symptoms?

3.  The plugs can be removed.  They latch in with a flat spring.  Insert a short stiff wire (e.g. straightened paper clip) into the small hole and put a bit of pressure on it toward the plug as you pull the plug out.

4.  It's certainly possible to transplant internals from another phone -- provided they're of a compatible vintage.

Send me an email with contact info.  I'm also near Boston and have some parts candidates, if needed.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

HowardPgh

The pushbutton one may have one of the button contacts stuck shut.
Howard