News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Who wants to be on C*NET?

Started by bellsystemproperty, April 02, 2010, 08:41:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tech&Music

I realized I might not need to purchase a Raspberry Pi. During room clean up, I found a HP thin client I forgot about. It actually has a functional PCI slot in it, which I could use for one of those Asterisk phone cards. I would need a PCI extension cable (those ribbon ones), and need to attach it to the side panel of the thin client and run cables out of the case, but that would be a better option. It's pretty low power too. Is it known whether there are Asterisk PCI cards with pulse dial support?

compubit

I don't have a list, but there should be info out on the Internet about pulse support.

Regardless, you can still use a HT-502 with the thin-client host. The great thing about Asterisk is that it can readily use older or lower-powered hardware (unless you're looking to host an entire office of many phones).  Plus It integrates with a wide range of hardware.

Jim
A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!

Mr. Bones

I am ready to start taking the C*NET plunge.

I got 2 HT-502's for $9.99 each, plus mild shipping. They arrived today.

I am in need of the following:

1 (or more) Elmers to help me through the config

Somebody to host 1 (or more) numbers, for now.

I plan on asterisk later, gotta start with baby steps, though.

Please let me know if you are able to help out a C*NET Newbie, in either regard.

Many thanks, in advance!

Best regards!

Boneman
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

Mr. Bones

It would appear to the patient, unaided eye that C*NET either no longer is operational, or no longer allows newer enthusiasts to join their ranks. So be it.

Off to pursue other interests...

Many thanks, and best regards!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

unbeldi

Well, C-Net is still operating just the same as it has.  There isn't much to actually "operate" in terms of a network, it is only the DNS name server that needs maintenance which translates the telephone numbering plan into the addresses for each node.

What have you done so far?
If you want to connect with just an ATA, then you need to find someone to provide a registrar node for it that is already registered.  I don't think there is an official request channel for that mode of operation, you have to find someone willing to do so. It's not automated service.  The best course of action is to subscribe to the VoIP mailing list as listed on the CNet web pages.  And ask there for help.

andy1702

I'm running a C*Net server here in the UK. Think of servers as exchanges (or central offices for those of you in the US). If you have an ATA, which you can basically think of as an adapter for your phone, you need to connect it to an exchange (server). I can host UK numbers for anyone interested. Just drop me a PM if you want to know more, just in case I don't notice replies on this thread.

One thing I use C*Net for is making free calls to family and friends. They all have a C*Net number each, either using a free app on a smart phone or an ordinary phone connected to an ATA. They can be anywhere in the world and calls to or from them are always free. handy if you've got relatives overseas or kids away at university etc.

Andy.
Call me on C*net 0246 81 290 from the UK
or (+44) 246 81 290 from the rest of the world.

For telephone videos search Andys Shed on Youtube.

markosjal

I would be willing to pitch in an Asterisk server for North American USA, Canada and Mexico Enthsiats.

I have servers in Arizona USA among others. I am in Mexico

I have been collecting antique phones since a a small child and have many years experience in VoIP and asterisk

Mark
Phat Phantom's phreaking phone phettish

markosjal

Quote from: Mr. Bones on January 07, 2016, 11:43:49 PM
I am ready to start taking the C*NET plunge.

I got 2 HT-502's for $9.99 each, plus mild shipping. They arrived today.

I am in need of the following:

1 (or more) Elmers to help me through the config

Somebody to host 1 (or more) numbers, for now.

I plan on asterisk later, gotta start with baby steps, though.

Please let me know if you are able to help out a C*NET Newbie, in either regard.

Many thanks, in advance!

Best regards!

Boneman

Where did you get them at that price?

Mr. Bones

Quote from: markosjal on December 08, 2016, 10:02:46 PM
Where did you get them at that price?
From a seller on ePay, I'd have to go back and find the seller name, if you wish. Both NIB. 8)

Sorry for such a slow response, it's a very busy time of year.

Best regards!

Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

markosjal

I can offer C*Net hosting in the +1 777 3XXX Range. Contact me if interested.
This free offering also includes calls to SIPBroker codes as well. see http://sipbroker.com

Also if interested I can host your Google voice account for a small annual fee, meaning you get C*Net, SIPBroker, Google voice, and optional e911. With this "premium" option, I offer up to three extensions, each with their own C*Net direct number, from a Data Center Server in Phoenix Arizona. You can have one account at home , another at the office and another on your smartphone. All extensions will ring when Google Number rings or just one.

Mark
+1 777 319 C*Net
+1 503 489 7870 USA

TelePlay

Quote from: markosjal on August 15, 2017, 03:23:22 PM
I can offer C*Net hosting in the +1 777 3XXX Range. Contact me if interested.
This free offering also includes calls to SIPBroker codes as well. see http://sipbroker.com

Also if interested I can host your Google voice account for a small annual fee, meaning you get C*Net, SIPBroker, Google voice, and optional e911. With this "premium" option, I offer up to three extensions, each with their own C*Net direct number, from a Data Center Server in Phoenix Arizona. You can have one account at home , another at the office and another on your smartphone. All extensions will ring when Google Number rings or just one.

Mark
+1 777 319 C*Net
+1 503 489 7870 USA

How is the above different from the offer already posted in Classifieds?

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=18631.0

andy1702

Is offering a paid C*NET service legal? here in the UK (if I've understood it right) any VOIP service provider must include a standard emergency service. C*NET does not have the emergency service connection of course, but is allowed to exist because it's a free service.

Of course, how much infulence our regulator OffCom might actually be able to lever over VOIP is not very clear, especially if the service originates from outside the country.

I was wondering what the legailities are of C*NET, not that I intend to start charging. I always host fellow collectors (which is what C*NET is for after all) totally free of charge.

markosjal

Andy1702,

Let me clarify..... I do not charge a dime for the C*net accounts I host. If however someone wants it combined with Google Voice I can do that. What I would charge for in the case of combining with Google Voice is mostly 911 (emergency services) access, plus a small fee to offset server costs.

So what I am offering for a small fee is C*net , Google Voice, 911 and SIPBroker dialing all in one neat package. This is different than C*Net alone , and the 911 service does have a cost. It is not free.

Mark

andy1702

Quote from: markosjal on October 11, 2017, 01:02:21 PM
Andy1702,

Let me clarify..... I do not charge a dime for the C*net accounts I host. If however someone wants it combined with Google Voice I can do that. What I would charge for in the case of combining with Google Voice is mostly 911 (emergency services) access, plus a small fee to offset server costs.

So what I am offering for a small fee is C*net , Google Voice, 911 and SIPBroker dialing all in one neat package. This is different than C*Net alone , and the 911 service does have a cost. It is not free.

Mark

The problem with that is (in the UK at least) all VOIP service providers who charge for connection MUST also provide emergency (911 / 999) connection. As C*net as a whole does not do this then no part of C*net can be charged for, otherwise we would fall foul of OfCom regulations. For this reason it is my understanding that C*net and other services should be kept seperate as far as a provider is concerned. However if the user wants an ATA with two lines and C*net on one with something like Google Voice provided seperately on the other that is up to them.

markosjal

Quote from: andy1702 on October 21, 2017, 01:00:24 PM
The problem with that is (in the UK at least) all VOIP service providers who charge for connection MUST also provide emergency (911 / 999) connection. As C*net as a whole does not do this then no part of C*net can be charged for, otherwise we would fall foul of OfCom regulations. For this reason it is my understanding that C*net and other services should be kept seperate as far as a provider is concerned. However if the user wants an ATA with two lines and C*net on one with something like Google Voice provided seperately on the other that is up to them.

You see on a free service no 911 (even ask Google Voice about this) . If a person is in the USA I, MUST charge them to have 911 if they want it combined with Google Voice. Of course if a person is in say Mexico and wants Google Voice, there is no need for 911. Now the criticizers should realize that and stop hounding me.