News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Not so “RARE” phones, phony items and other such fakery on eBay

Started by Phonesrfun, March 17, 2011, 01:36:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

poplar1

"Vintage Antique Rotary Payphone By Automatic Electric. Early 19th Century Model"

http://www.ebay.com/itm/151039914110

Found in his 97 year old grandfather's attic along with other things the grandfather has collected for nearly a century.

Actually, it's a 1980s fake---not a pay phone and nothing to do with Automatic Electric other than the dial and ringer from an AE 80.

And only $1,200!

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

AE_Collector

Quote from: poplar1 on May 04, 2013, 07:38:30 PM
"Early 19th Century Model"

Phones don't get much older than this. That's a good 50 years prior to the invention of the phone!

Terry

MagicMo

What about this clear phone? I don't know much about phones but I can tell something is not right about this. $150 buy it now.
Practice Kindness :)

Jim Stettler

That Is an ITT phone   or an aftermarket housing on a 500 base. These housings in Blue and pink are unmarked  and seem to be  ITT  housings.

Value  (to me) maybe $20-30
JMO Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

twocvbloke

ooh, I quite like that blue phone, but I don't like the price...  :D

poplar1

Update from seller on the "19th century" pay phone:

"I took what you said to heart and I can't believe that's its a reproduction. Thanks for the advice, I'm actually having a BBQ tomorrow and now I at least have some firewood

- huntpicksell"

poplar1

Here's another new pay phone from phoneco (phonecoinc.com) being sold as original:

"VINTAGE RARE RED PUBLIC CION TELEPHONE FROM THE 50"S"

http://cgi.ebay.com/item/251278382396

This is the seller's reply to a question:

"YES  RARE, YES 50'S !!! You have no idea what you are talking about. How can you comment on something that is not in your possession and have never seen. NOR KNOW WHERE I PURCHASED IT FROM. PLEASE DO NOT BID ON ANY OF MY ITEMS OR LOOK AT MY SITE ANY MORE,!!!"

This is what I thought it was: (from phonecoinc.com)

The PAYCO and the PAY2C are primarily reproduction parts. But don't let this fool you. These are not cheap light weight plastic reproduction.The high quality reproduction parts are made from the same materials as the originals. These phones are built to the same exacting standards as the originals. They are carefully hand assembled and tested by our expert technicians. You can expect the same durability and reliability that the phones companies got from the phones they owned. You will have 30 days to return the phone no questions asked and the phone comes with a one year warranty.
PAYCO·································$309.00

The first picture is at phoneco's website. The second one is the "Rare 50s" one on Ebay. You decide!

(BTW, it appears phoneco finally changed the instruction card from 1890s New England Tel. to Independent)

poplar1

"RARE Vintage Antique Candle Stick Phone-Brass-Rotary Dial"
[NOT!]

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=151065144970

Q: "Rare? You're kidding, right? This is a 1970s reproduction, probably made
overseas."

A: "We always appreciate receiving comments, advice, etc from our customers. We
however must respectfully disagree with your assessment of this item, It has a
bakelite speaker and hearing column and we have been officially advised this
item dates back to the 1940's. Thank you for your comments"

LarryInMichigan

I feel bad for whoever bid $136.99 for an item worth at most $30.  Don't let this happen to you!

Larry

TelePlay

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on June 23, 2013, 02:33:57 PMI feel bad for whoever bid $136.99 for an item worth at most $30.

So, Larry, if the auction has a "Returns: 14 days money back, buyer pays return shipping" clause, could the buyer just say to the seller before paying "don't ship" and just not pay? Would that cause a problem on eBay for the buyer? Just asking - that wasn't my bid.

poplar1

The bidder has a feedback of 3, so he may not know it's a fake.

I'd still like to know who "officially advised" the seller that it "dates back to the 1940s."

TelePlay

Quote from: poplar1 on June 23, 2013, 03:16:52 PMThe bidder has a feedback of 3, so he may not know it's a fake.

I saw that. If the bidder is a member of the forum, maybe he/she will get the hint.

Quote from: poplar1 on June 23, 2013, 03:16:52 PMI'd still like to know who "officially advised" the seller that it "dates back to the 1940s."

That would be interesting but doubt the seller will say who, if anybody at all.

And what's the rule on questions? Is it up to the seller to show or not show questions? That listing says no questions were asked and you obviously asked a question.

LarryInMichigan

It would certainly be advisable for the buyer to return the phone.  If the phone clearly shows a date of 1971 on the bottom, they would have a good claim that the item was not as advertised.  If the bidder is reading this, I would suggest retracting the bid.

I don't think there is any reason here to believe that the seller is trying to mislead.  Few people know anything about these things.

Larry

TelePlay

Didn't know for sure about this until I read the last line of the seller's description, and noticed the Phillips head screws on both sides of the dial "branch."

Listed as "VERY RARE Antique Brass Art Nouveau Hollywood Style Ornate Telephone early 1900" at a BIN price of $750.00

http://www.ebay.com/itm/171064506746

Seller says: "Very Rare Antique Brass Art Nouveau 'Hollywood Style' Ornate Telephone, early 1900's. This is a really large stunning model. Made of solid brass stealth, beautiful ornate decorated. The jug dial is perfectly finished with a very nice picture. Marked with Toshiba."

LarryInMichigan

Quote from: TelePlay on June 23, 2013, 06:43:42 PM
Didn't know for sure about this until I read the last line of the seller's description, and noticed the Phillips head screws on both sides of the dial "branch."

Listed as "VERY RARE Antique Brass Art Nouveau Hollywood Style Ornate Telephone early 1900" at a BIN price of $750.00

http://www.ebay.com/itm/171064506746

Seller says: "Very Rare Antique Brass Art Nouveau 'Hollywood Style' Ornate Telephone, early 1900's. This is a really large stunning model. Made of solid brass stealth, beautiful ornate decorated. The jug dial is perfectly finished with a very nice picture. Marked with Toshiba."

Wow, only $750!  I had better buy it before someone beats me to it ;D 

"Stunning" is not quite the word I would use to describe it.  Replacing the "tun" with "icke" would yield a more accurate description :D.

Larry