News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

The CRPF "Bad Packing" awards

Started by Dan, March 01, 2009, 04:54:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whitcrane76

Another classic bites the dust.  Sitting flat on the bottom of the box with a couple of plastic grocery sacks thrown in for good measure.
Anybody got an avocado green shell and dial face to spare?

Key2871

E bay has a dial and other parts..
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?isRefine=true&_pgn=1&sid=littlerascal01r

I recently saw just a dial bezel but can't find it now..
KEN

Whitcrane76

So I thought I was going to fill those empty slots for a green 500 and 554 this week.  But, 2 for 2.

TelePlay

This is one reply in a topic on how to pack a phone for shipping.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=715.msg85176#msg85176

Standard practice back then when buying a phone on eBay would be to send a message to the seller within the payment on how to pack a phone for shipment. I always did and never received a broken phone.

Even offered to pay a bit extra for good packing, was never asked for additional payment.

An informative packing message to the seller is both good to prevent damage and makes it easier to get all money back if the seller does not pack as requested and the phone arrives broken.

david@london

Really bad luck there Whitecrane. Hope you'll get full refunds and be able to replace them.

Whitcrane76

Quote from: david@london on May 21, 2021, 07:41:41 AM
Really bad luck there Whitecrane. Hope you'll get full refunds and be able to replace them.

Luckily both sellers gave full refunds and told me to keep the phones.  Now I have two new projects.

Scott

Here is a chance to guess what the out come will be. The first photo is of a box containing a princess phone I paid way too much for. The second photo is of the box with another princess phone next to it. Not much of a size difference. So what is everyone's opinion on how this will turn out. I will open the box tomorrow and let everyone know what I find. I am preparing for the worst but hoping for the best.

Regards,
Scott K.

phonium

Quote from: Scott on June 01, 2021, 10:36:05 PM
So what is everyone's opinion on how this will turn out.
Two words: Sad phone
George Amores
ATCA#4857

FABphones

Quote from: Scott on June 01, 2021, 10:36:05 PM
...what is everyone's opinion on how this will turn out...

Hoping for the best too, but my first thought when I saw your photo was   'ohhh...  :(
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

FABphones

Quote from: TelePlay on May 20, 2021, 07:27:52 PM
...Standard practice back then when buying a phone on eBay would be to send a message to the seller within the payment on how to pack a phone for shipment.

...An informative packing message to the seller is both good to prevent damage and makes it easier to get all money back if the seller does not pack as requested and the phone arrives broken.

A good idea. I always add a short and polite note re packing.

Usually the seller is fine with it, however, I have had a few sellers get quite disgruntled and cancel the order, including one recently. The recent one said they have had quite a few items get broken in transit and therefore, due to my packing note, it would be a waste of time sending it  :o.
That seller had even charged for a more expensive courier than the one they said they always use.

Another seller some time ago complained that if they were to pack the item as asked they would have to go out and buy some packing materials. That order was cancelled by the seller too.

Another seller sent the phone but not before sending a message saying 'difficult, aren't you'.

Erm. No.  ???

Scott

Hoping for the best worked. The phone arrived undamaged, so miracles do happen. This is a nice addition to the Princess collection. All the best to everyone.

Regards,
Scott K.

Scott

Sorry, here is a photo.

allnumbedup

This FBmarketplace purchase was nothing special for bad packing. I sent my normal packing request for bubble wrap, handset separate, and a negative "shake test" which were ignored in favor of a loose phone and two crumpled up pieces of paper.  The phone purchased was a 1956 soft plastic ivory 500 for $20 plus $12 which I paid promptly with CC. What was notable was the following conversation including the suggestion that maybe I broke the phone and also on advice on how to fix it.  I accepted a refund of shipping only through paypal after I opened a complaint only because I really wanted the station cord for my own soft plastic ivory:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=23511.msg235504

This one is a dating matching phone so I will give it all the work it needs. Do you think I should contact the seller to ask what kind of epoxy I should use?  ;) (Name of seller edited out to protect the guilty party). JC
Analog Phones for a Digital World

FABphones

Quote from: allnumbedup on June 05, 2021, 12:46:47 PM
Do you think I should contact the seller to ask what kind of epoxy I should use?  ;) ...

Ask them, 'as they have suggested epoxy as a repair medium, whether an exothermic reaction might cause an issue, what catalyst they recommend, and do they foresee any problem regarding the possibility of a requirement to degas?'

Naughty FAB.  :o  ;D

allnumbedup

I ultrasonically cleaned and lubricated the stuck dial, refinished the plastics mostly with sanding, and repaired the crack on the shoulder and another on the front right edge that I found after my last post .   The front edge I could have done a little better on--it got a bit more noticable with fine polishing and I did not feel like redoing it--but the shoulder fixed well.  This is a 3-29-56 "birthday phone".  I have another such ivory date matching phone 9-27-56

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=23511.msg235481

I epoxied the inside of the cracks for strength as shown in the post above.  From this phone I stole the 1956 station cord it came with for my original Ivory that needed one. (This newest ivory phone pictured below now has a 5 lead from a light beige trimline--to get the thicker diameter).  I also stole this phone's  dial card that I reburbished for another soft plastic 500 I acquired:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=25318.msg249263

The "ocean city" dial card is a very nice reproduction I purchased and did not make.
Analog Phones for a Digital World