News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

What is a good price?

Started by novarlynx, March 13, 2016, 01:03:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

novarlynx

WE 302. Dated 1938 on most components, some are different years. 5H dial, metal housing. Has several dings in the paint but looks fairly decent, handset is missing a small chunk of plastic, handset cord is mangled and messy, dial is missing some paint, but the dial does spin at the right speed. Phone does not function.

How much should I counter-offer? Seller is asking $55 and I think that is way too high for a non-working 302 that needs a repaint.

Thanks!!
The digital PSTN is so boring now. I wish I could have experienced what it was like to use the Bell System with all its analog wonders.

Well, at least we have museums. Right?

Sargeguy

Speaking as someone who has a basement full of "why did I buy that?" 302s, I would pass on it and wait for one with fewer issues.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

LarryInMichigan

I would pass on it at that price.  There are enough 302s around that a better one will likely surface soon.

Larry

unbeldi

Here is my $0.02 after loosing an hour of sleep.

You do not have to buy every 302 that crosses your path.

If you have to ask and ponder whether you should pay price X, then you should most likely pass.

For there will come along another 302 that you know the instance you see it, that it is yours.

Sometimes, you know this only at the time when a decision MUST be made, when the actual final price is evident at the end of an auction.

Sometimes the deal is good enough to override any concerns.

Don't get upset about breaking your rules impulsively and other mistakes. Move on, there will be deals that make up for it and more.

::)  ???  :o

TelePlay

Quote from: unbeldi on March 13, 2016, 09:52:26 AM
Here is my $0.02 after loosing an hour of sleep.

Very good advice.

When learned the hard way, by the time the lesson takes hold, one does indeed end up with a basement full of 302s falling into that Sargeguy well termed category: "why did I buy that?"   :-\

novarlynx

Yeah that's a good point then. Doesn't seem too worth it. I just wanted one with a metal housing instead of a plastic one.

I guess he was the idiot for buying it for $60 on ebay a few months ago "AS IS" (which 99% of the time means not working) and then finding out it actually is not working.

Was somebody I know who wanted a real old phone but not a collector.
The digital PSTN is so boring now. I wish I could have experienced what it was like to use the Bell System with all its analog wonders.

Well, at least we have museums. Right?

Mr. Bones

All the above advice is true, and I have way too many 302's... I just don't have a basement! ;)

That being said, I would make a counter offer to the owner...

Metal 302's are, to me, at least, more desirable, and a mostly 1938-dated one? I would buy it, and get rid of one of my later, more-common ones, as atonement. ;D

If you don't buy this phone, remember the opportunity, as you price 1938's on ebay.

Y'all all's mileage may vary...

Best regards.
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

NorthernElectric

Quote from: novarlynx on March 13, 2016, 03:34:27 PM
Yeah that's a good point then. Doesn't seem too worth it. I just wanted one with a metal housing instead of a plastic one.

I guess he was the idiot for buying it for $60 on ebay a few months ago "AS IS" (which 99% of the time means not working) and then finding out it actually is not working.

Was somebody I know who wanted a real old phone but not a collector.

If you want a metal one instead of a plastic one, swap him your working plastic one for the metal and ask for $20 more; should be enough to fund whatever parts the metal one needs to fix it.   :)
Cliff