News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Just arrived.. 1964 500 beige desk phone

Started by Bill Cahill, November 16, 2009, 12:36:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Cahill

My  latest ebay find just arrived.. This beige  1964 Bell Systems desk phone..  And, it has a soft dial!
Interestingly, the mike has a date of 3-56, and, the earphone 11-58.
Yet, it appears all original! Sorry for no pictures right now. Major computer problems are preventing this. It's a hard wire phone, has a 25' line cord, and, a 10' receiver cord.
All matching!
Outside of needing minor cleaning, it's in amazingly good shape. I'll have to go back to ebay tor remind myself what I paid, but, I'm certain it wasn't alot.
I'm just tickled pink! And, apparently, it was sold to the owner in 1983, as a sale label on bottom attests to.
Bill Cahill  ;D

"My friends used to keep saying I had batts in my belfry. No. I'm just hearing bells....."

ntophones

Congratulations! There's just nothing like a great phone--especially unexpectedly great ones!
--nto

Bill Cahill

And, here's the great news! I was able to get my photoshop to work. So, here goes!
Well, what do you think????
Bill Cahill

"My friends used to keep saying I had batts in my belfry. No. I'm just hearing bells....."

Bill Cahill

bwanna

$6.99.....sweet :)   congrats on a nice find, bill. happy that you got the computer issues straightened out, also ;D
donna

Bill Cahill

Unfortunately, no, the computer isn't fixed. I was just able to get one aspect working.
The rest is still a mess.  :-[
Bill Cahhill

Greg G.

Quote from: Bill Cahill on November 16, 2009, 01:17:54 PM
And, here's the great news! I was able to get my photoshop to work. So, here goes!
Well, what do you think????
Bill Cahill

I hate you.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

McHeath

Great deal!  Somebody certainly wanted to make this phone into the next best thing to a cordless eh?  25 feet of line cord and 10 of handset, so a 35 foot roaming distance. 

Craig T

Great addition Bill with enough line to bum the neighbor's a call  :D. Great find on the cords too!

foots

Nice phone. I wish I could find such a long line cord for some of my phones.
"Ain't Worryin' 'Bout Nothin"

Bill Cahill

Thanks, guys. It was especially a good deal that it had those long cords with it.
How do you carefully remove, and, re-install that soft dial center to put in a number card?
Bill Cahill

bingster

Here are the instructions, Bill.  If you don't have a paperclip handy, you can use a piece of solid core hookup wire, which is what I use.

http://telephonecollectors.org/library/weco/9remove.pdf
= DARRIN =

Bill Cahill

The phone turned me into a liar. My 25' cord was only a 10' cord. I found that out when I tried to run new phone to it's place in living room.

So, I had to change line cords. However, receiver cord is still 10'.
Anyway, phone works great.
Bill Cahill

Dan/Panther

Great deal on a great phone. it should clean up like new.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Bill Cahill

Actually, the phone's almost like new now. No corosion, slight dirt, and, glue from a sticker in cradle area are the only negatives.
Dial has a nice, loud gear sound, with the wonderful usual sound ofthe whinning coming back. Also, it is an older dial mechanism. Not sure of age, but,. it will also fit an old phone with the screw in front as well.
This phone was made with some older parts, but, looks to be all original.
Is this a WE 64' re furb?
The only writing on the black painted bottom is 500 CD.
The feet are 60's feet.
The mic, and, earphone, as said earlier, are from 50's.
The capacitor block says 64.
It has a soft center dial where number card goes.

Bill Cahill
OH, it appears bell s are only half brass?
It rings very loudly. Almost like an industrial phone.