News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

My "new" FMN AE 80 arrived...

Started by Greg G., November 22, 2009, 05:13:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg G.

Hell's Bells, this one doesn't have any!  Not just the gongs, but the electronics too.  I went back and read the description on ebay, there wasn't any guarantee that it was complete, I just assumed it was. 

Couple of things I can do.  I can either get the ringer set for this one, or I can swap the plastic parts of this one and put them on the base of the faded green one.  Only thing is I discovered that AE changed the mounting screws sometime between 65 and 72.  The one I just got is a 72 model and has only two mounting screws, but they're in the same spot, so it will still go on the older base, the third screw just sits there, no hole for it to go into.

The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

JorgeAmely

The CXX string in the part number indicates that it did not have bells installed at the factory. It was probably installed as an extension in a home that already had one of a few ringing phones.

Jorge

gpo706

Thats one way to reduce your REN I suppose!
"now this should take five minutes, where's me screwdriver went now..?"

bellsystemproperty

My AE90 I got a long time ago also came without bells. It does everything else fine.

Craig T

At first i thought, oh man,  been there, but an extension line would be great. Nice color either way.

foots

It would be a nice phone to put by your bed.
"Ain't Worryin' 'Bout Nothin"

Greg G.

Quote from: foots on November 23, 2009, 03:36:49 AM
  It would be a nice phone to put by your bed.

Next to the other two?
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Greg G.

Just hooked up a line cord to it.  Fully functions, except of course it doesn't ring.  I would rather put a ringer in it.  Phones were meant to ring. 

Why did AE change the way the covers are secured to the base by eliminating one screw?  My only guess is they figured the other two hold it secure just as well and saved a ton of money doing that way.  Nothing wrong with that, I guess.
- Mike Row
e