News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Experience with Etsy

Started by Desert Phone Guy, November 20, 2018, 06:30:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Desert Phone Guy

Has anyone had any selling experience on Etsy?  I am considering moving to another auction site due to more and more red tape and issues with Ebay.  I would be interested in hearing any positive or negative experiences.

I have made a couple of small purchases on Etsy, and thus far have been pleased with the product, service, and delivery.

Pourme

~

I've always been curious about ETSY. I too have made a handful of small purchases there. Happened across a WE564H for $5.00 + shipping once. That seems to be the exception rather than the rule. It looks, overall to be a higher 'class' presentation compared to EBAY, without the auction option. What I mean by that is the presentation.  The items are usually pictured the way they would commonly be used in the home, telephones on end tables, etc. I wonder if ETSY actively encourages this. In most cases the prices are higher than I would expect to pay.

However, having said that, the site has a pleasant look and feel and I enjoy browsing. Sellers seem to stick around so I assume they are successful. If you decide to sell there I'd like to hear your impressions as you proceed.
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

LarryInMichigan

I have bought and sold items on Etsy without any problems.  Etsy's seller fees are a fraction of what Feebay charges.  It seems that the the typical Etsy buyers are looking for nice decorative items or craft supplies.  I like to list things which I have restored which are nice looking and functional, but not of great value to collectors.  The people who buy my items, usually women, are looking for something nice for their home or office which can be removed from the box, plugged in, and appreciated.  I set the prices accordingly.  When I have something rare and potentially valuable, I prefer to use an ebay auction.

Larry

Dan/Panther

I agree with Larry, For collectibles eBay is the best. Unfortunately more costs involved. Once Etsy's is better established, watch the fees go up.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Lewes2

Just searched on ETSY for "Antique Telephone" and I would estimate that about 75 percent of the phones listed are Russian/Soviet or European origin.  Some of the former are rather weird looking.

Chuck

LarryInMichigan

Quote from: Lewes2 on December 15, 2018, 08:04:29 PM
Just searched on ETSY for "Antique Telephone" and I would estimate that about 75 percent of the phones listed are Russian/Soviet or European origin.  Some of the former are rather weird looking.

Chuck

Yes, it seems that Etsy is quite popular in eastern Europe.  I just sold a clock on Etsy about 30 minutes ago.

Larry

Sargeguy

Etsy is a good place to sell items that you don't need to sell quickly but want full retail price for such as signs or common phones in complete/nice condition.  It is not the place to sell parts, parts phones or rare items that you want to sell to a serious collector.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Jim Stettler

I have had good luck making offers on etsy.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Desert Phone Guy

Well I got a nice Nickel WE 20 SC manual candlestick on etsy last week for $70.  Nice nickel, incomplete 706A receiver,  bakelite grommet.  Not a stellar deal, but good nickel is hard for me to find.

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Desert Phone Guy on December 23, 2018, 09:36:33 PM
Well I got a nice Nickel WE 20 SC manual candlestick on etsy last week for $70.  Nice nickel, incomplete 706A receiver,  bakelite grommet.  Not a stellar deal, but good nickel is hard for me to find.

Nice find. You should put it in the find of the month
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Sargeguy

What transmitter does it have???
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

dc4code

With my experience, Etsy seems to be a bit pricey.

For example, a WE500 typically sells for $75 on Etsy.

On eBay, you can pick up a working one with very little restoration work needed for only $20 + Free Shipping

But this is most likely just an issue for me since I am young and get paid occasionally for my contracting jobs. (I.T/PBX Installer/Tel Line Installs and Software Development)

Desert Phone Guy

The transmitter was a 229W.  Has the transmitter with the two screw on nuts to hold against the transmitter diaphragm.

Sargeguy

Looks like a pretty good pile of parts!  I would swap out the 229 for an insulated transmitter and use the 229 on something earlier.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Desert Phone Guy

Yes, everything is present in "unmolested" condition.  I got it primarily for the quality of the nickel.  I will clean the nickel, and then see if I have an appropriate transmitter to add to it. 

I have always thought that these "drop" style switch hooks were an earlier version, and were made to fit with the WE Pony Receivers.  I have noticed that the pony receiver fits in this style hook "like a glove".

Steve