News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Vintage-Last-5-Type-Telephone-Dial-1953-Framed-in-Shado

Started by Doug Rose, August 20, 2019, 07:27:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

I won this on eBay last week.  Kind of cool. Last #5 Dial 1953. It's an unused 5J dated 12 52. Close enough to 1953 It is perfect but the screws used to mount it were a tad bigger than normal dial screws. The plaque is brass after a clean up. I wanted the dial and not sure what to do with the box yet.  Maybe another dial for show? Really different....Doug

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Last-5-Type-Telephone-Dial-1953-Framed-in-Shadow-Box/352752129149?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
Kidphone

tubaman

That plaque suggests it was the very last of that type produced.
I'd be keeping it in the box as is.
:)

Doug Rose

I took the 5J as I needed it for a project. I found a 12/52 that was in my Steve Hilsz pile to be repaired. Wood cleaned up nice. I am very happy with it....Doug
Kidphone

loblolly986

I'm with tubaman - keep the 5J dial that came with the box, in the box. In all likelihood, a WE employee took the last one off the assembly line and made this display for it. Only one can have the status of being the last one made - and needless to say, that's rarer than the rarest phone that used this dial type. I don't see the sense in sacrificing such a piece to the ages just for a phone project (the dial's provenance setting it apart from others inevitably being lost) when one can always acquire another dial of the same type later that isn't special.

Doug Rose

Quote from: loblolly986 on August 31, 2019, 04:39:58 PM
I'm with tubaman - keep the 5J dial that came with the box, in the box. In all likelihood, a WE employee took the last one off the assembly line and made this display for it. Only one can have the status of being the last one made - and needless to say, that's rarer than the rarest phone that used this dial type. I don't see the sense in sacrificing such a piece to the ages just for a phone project (the dial's provenance setting it apart from others inevitably being lost) when one can always acquire another dial of the same type later that isn't special.
I was born December 1953. I had a birthday phone WE not a NE 302, the dial was dated 12 53 or IV 53. It is gone as I had no room for another Black 302

The dial in this Box was dated 12 52. Last 5 Type dial 1953? It was  dated 12 52. That is why I had no issue removing the dial. Displays great with the same dated dial in my humble opinion...Doug
Kidphone

loblolly986

Past posts on the forum indicate 12/52 is the final date stamp for the 5J and 5H dials (replaced by the 6-series), and production may have ended just into January of '53 and they weren't immediate in changing the date stamp*, plus you noted the dial is unused, so I wouldn't conclude the dial isn't truly the last one based on the display's 1953 date.

* this isn't unheard of with items with date codes. As an example from another interest of mine, I recall seeing Motorola items with a serial number date code for one month but also with a human-readable date a little inside the next month - obviously not always right on the mark in changing over. On top of this possibility, if they were just about to stop production of the 5-type dials anyway, the workers may not have seen fit to bother changing it.

Doug

I believe you have a saying for mistakes made. "Sometimes the bear will bite you."

I think you let it bite you this time. I'm with them. If it was truly the last one, that would have made it 1 of 1.

Something to think about.

CDN Doug

Doug Rose

You guys have swayed my opinion, I will swap it back. Thanks for all the input on this. I do appreciate it. ..many thanks....Doug
Kidphone

Great news Doug

Now here is another scenario.

It could be one of a group from the last run put together for the employees.

Either way it's still a great piece of Western Electric history.

Time to start researching and get some information on it. I would start with the seller and ask them where they got it and if they had anymore information for it. One never knows maybe there is a letter out there that came with it explaining what it is.

CDN Doug

Doug Rose

5J is back where it belongs. I have emailed seller looking for information.

Do you think the was a real Western Electric shadow box or put together by a collector.

Thanks for all the replies pointing me in the right direction.....Doug
Kidphone

Doug Rose

reply from seller....Doug

New message from: youthguy3222  Top Rated Seller(1,458Red Star)
What a neat item!! Unfortunately, I dont have a lot of info on this piece. I purchased it from an going out of business antique store.
Kidphone

loblolly986

I wonder if the seller would be willing to tell you what antique store they got it from, and (if the store is one of those that hosts individual vendors' items) if their receipt notes which vendor it came from, in case you'd be able to trace where they got it. Might be a bit of a stretch at this point since it was going out of business, but the antique store (or vendor) had to have gotten it somewhere - and it would be nice to know such provenance on an item like this.

tubaman

Good call Doug - I think you have something pretty special there. It's not necessary worth much in US$ terms but as a piece of telecommunications history it's priceless.
:)

Doug Rose

Kidphone