News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Is this legit eBay auction for Ronald Reagan's 2500 set

Started by Key2871, March 01, 2021, 01:25:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Key2871

I can't get just the image to load. So if some one can.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/President-RONALD-REAGAN-vintage-White-House-TELEPHONE-in-CASE-RARE-WORKS/193863168797

?hash=item2d2325331d:g:J38AAOSwHqVgDgTq

Very expensive, but it's it real? It looks like the real deal, but is it..
KEN

Owain

Couple of photos.

HarrySmith

I do not see where it states it was used by Reagan. It states a White House telephone from the Ronald Reagan era. It could be an actual phone from the White House. The picture shows him with a white phone, not a beige one.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

TelePlay

Quote from: HarrySmith on March 01, 2021, 02:18:50 PM
The picture shows him with a white phone, not a beige one.

The white handset is also hard wired, not modular.

Key2871

Quote from: HarrySmith on March 01, 2021, 02:18:50 PM
I do not see where it states it was used by Reagan. It states a White House telephone from the Ronald Reagan era. It could be an actual phone from the White House. The picture shows him with a white phone, not a beige one.

Right, it has a plaque on the display that just says his name. It's possible the phone was used in the White House, but with no other documentation saying it was used by RR just his name on the plaque isn't enough to provide proof he used that phone.
And I don't think they used beige sets in the White House. Every picture I've seen when he was in office, the sets were White, I've not seen any where Beige was in use. So I still think it's a long shot.
Thanks for the pictures though.. It would be interesting to see what happens.
KEN

compubit

While I was in college In the late 80s, working for the DoD, all of the phones I saw around Washington (albeit I didn't visit the White House) had hardwired handset - mostly for security reasons...

Jim
A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!

TelePlay

FABphones

I can't see anything which actually confirms to it being a White House phone. Not white as shown in the photo of RR using a phone, not hard wired, no White House documentation to back the story up, not a single photo of it insitu, and certainly not the phone as shown on the desk of RR.

It being a modular phone rings alarm bells the most. As compubit points out, this would be a security issue.

Thanks for starting the thread Ken, this auction will be an interesting one to follow.

——-

Image below from the link above, saying 'A typical phone that would have been on the desk of a White House staffer perhaps in the 1980's'.

Staff jobs vary, there are hundreds of them; calligraphers, cooks, gardeners, cleaners...  It would be interesting to know the auction phones actual placement.
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

Key2871

Since starting this thread, I have been researching phones used in the Whitehouse, and everything I've found was hardwired, as pointed out by several.
And all were White. So I'm thinking lime many are, this is a common set used elsewhere perhaps in the Whitehouse, and was not used by Ronald Reagan.
And with no provinance that he actually used the phone I think someone has gone to great lengths to try and sell this as a genuine article.

I've seen sets with clear face plates with Whitehouse directories before, and I've seen stickers that say not a secure phone.
But as pointed out it'll be interesting to see where this goes. I just saw this and thought it was very interesting
KEN

Key2871

I looked at the sellers other listings, he has a truck load of famous collectables.
But I still don't think that's Reagan's phone.
KEN