News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Face Standard ITT WE 500 lookalike

Started by tubaman, July 18, 2021, 07:31:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tubaman

I've just got this via eBay - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/234087700890 - £20 inc P&P (US$28 approx).
At initial glace it looks very much like a WE 500 in its styling, although it's slightly shorter front to back. The handset is a clear G3 copy.
What's interesting are the handset inserts - the receiver is clearly a rebranded GPO 4T and the transmitter a rebranded 500 type one.
The tropicalised caps are also unusual.
I think it dates to 1974 and apart from the usual age-related scuffs is in very nice shape.

"A VINTAGE ROTARY TELEPHONE IN BLACK
THE PHONE SEEMS TO BE IN PRETTY GOOD CONDITION OVERALL WITH SOME SCUFFS/ SCRATCHES AND MARKS, THE DIALER SPINS AND RETURNS AS SHOULD, THE BELL SOUND IS A BIT HIT AND MISS AND IT WILL NEED A GOOD CLEAN
I DO NOT KNOW IF THE PHONE IS WORKING
THE MAKE AND MODEL ARE UNKNOWN
THE YEAR OF MANUFACTURE IS ALSO UNKNOWN BUT I THINK IT COULD BE THE 1970s/1980s ERA"

If anyone in the UK is interested the seller has another - offer him £20 (maybe less?) and you should get it - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/234087697635

tubaman

Here are the tropicalised caps.

LM Ericsson

That particular phone is on my bucket list, but hate those Face Standard dials. Oiling them is ok if you have a pen oiler, but adjusting that governor spring is like surgical work! Very nice find!
Regards,
-Grayson

tubaman

Quote from: LM Ericsson on July 19, 2021, 12:17:04 PM
That particular phone is on my bucket list, but hate those Face Standard dials. Oiling them is ok if you have a pen oiler, but adjusting that governor spring is like surgical work! Very nice find!

Thanks - luckily the dial is working fine so I'm not intending to mess with it.
:)

MMikeJBenN27

I've thought about getting one, but the plastic switch arms scare me.

Mike